Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting outside at -5 degrees in 20 mph wind!

Old 01-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting outside at -5 degrees in 20 mph wind!

Heh, heh Straightarrow I feel your pain. I took a decent buck one time after spending two hours in a treestand in minus thirty-eight degree wind chill. May be the best shot I have ever made albeit was only 30 yards. The bow performed flawlessly (my old Darton Maverick short brace and all).

The only time I have ever had a problem in the cold was once when I had to cross a fence. In order to go through the fence I had to lay my warm bow in the snow. Of course the cam got covered in snow which in turn melted and filled the tracks of the cam with ice. When I tried to draw the bow..BOOM... the string jumped out of the tracks...game, set, match!! Hunt over.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:41 PM

Our club holds it's 3D shoots all winter long. We shoot to those temps and I haven't seen a rash of blown up bows. I personally shoot when it get's that cold and my bow is still going strong.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

While participating in this rather chilly target practice, my friend's limb broke. Does anyone know if temperature has a significant effect on limb durability, or was this just coincidence?

Edit: The limbs were typical fiberglass limbs, probably made by Gordon.
Ouch. You, my friend are nuts! That's COLD.

Been like that here too.

I suspect the manufacturer was correct..the limbs were already weakened and the extreme cold just helped 'em along a bit to end their suffering
Old 01-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Never mentioned what kind of bow it was? Was it a manufacturer that already has a reputation of breaking limbs.. or something else. Not trying to start anything here.. just asking if there were already extinuating circumstances...
Old 01-19-2004, 05:17 AM

KBacon,

I learned my lesson a long time ago. You don't post anything negative about any manufacturer's bows, unless you're looking for conflict. Many will take it personally and accuse you of posting with the sole purpose of bashing. [] Besides, I think these incidents of problems reported on forums are anecdotal and statistically insignificant.