Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech limb bolts stripped.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtech limb bolts stripped.

It's the allen head that is stripped, not the threads. By play I meant when I put the allen wrench in the head, the wrench had too much play. Sorry for the confusion. It's a very nice bow otherwise, my last bow I bought was in 93, what a difference.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my best "church lady" typing...

Oh... Nevermind.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As already noted, the head of the limb bolt was stripped, not the threads.

Since the bow was bought used we'll nver know for sure but I'm going to assume this was probably due to someone using an older allen wrench that had been worn and didn't fit tight to begin with.

I've been told by engineers and machinists, that when a bolt turns hard or you hear it creaking while you turn it, it means it has good tight threads and if it's the opposite it's a sloppy fit...
Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't there going to be a problem?You need to press the bow to take pressure off the limb by taking the string off,but you can't press the bow if the limbs are not backed off.I suppose you could use an easy-out or tap it out?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Dang it! Now a rounded allen head I can relate too, but not stripped threads. [&:]
Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I spoke with a dealer and said it was probably cuased by a cheap allen wrench. He is going to look at it for me but assured me we'll fix it. Lesson learned, find a good dealer and pay the little extra for their overhead.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:03 AM

Hmmmm,, why do you need to back off the limbs on a BowTech before you press it??? OOOOHHHH I see, you have the wrong press
Old 01-17-2004, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. I did not buy it from a dealer but I assumed that this would not be something to try myself. PABowhntr, where is the dealer in Lehigh Ct? I'm in Tannersville and was going to go up to Dupont but I'm a little closer to Allentown. Thanks.
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. The Lehigh County dealer is Peak Performance Archery in Whitehall. Good guy...really knows his stuff.

But considering you are a good bit north of here I would probably suggest Dunklebergers in Stroudsburg. That should be closer to you than Peak Performance. I believe Bowtech has both dealers' info listed on their website... www.bowtecharchery.com .

Hope this helps.