Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length and shooting a release

Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Draw length and shooting a release

I am now shooting a bow with a 30"draw with a finger tab. it seems to be just a tad too long, but this is just for getting into the sport and i got the bow for free.
i may be getting another bow from a friend this summer, bbut he shoots it with release and a loop on the string. the problem is that the bow only has a 28" draw. will this bow be close enough to my draw length for me to be able to use comfortably? i imagine the release and loop will add some length, but how much? thanks for posting.
P.S. Gotta love those friends who give you thier used stuff for free
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Draw length and shooting a release

28" may be a little short. Your 30" bow should be adjustable. Hopefully, you can adjust it "down" to at least 29".

What you basically want is to draw the bow back, and have the string come to the tip of your nose, or slightly alongside it. Settle in comfortably. If you feel stretched out, or cramped, it's too long, or too short.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw length and shooting a release

Let's see if we can get close. You have a 30" draw on the present bow and say it seems too long. Therefore it is. You're going to start shooting release. This usually means you need a bow with a shorter draw, normally about an inch. So 29" may be a tad long. Then you add the string loop and to get the bow to fit you right you have to shorten the draw by the length of the loop. All this adding and subtracting has me thinking that 28" should be just about right when you get it. Or at least close.