Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who makes the best binocs for under $200?

Old 01-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Who makes the best binocs for under $200?

Sort of a technical question...

OK, I trust you guys' opinions in this forum better than anywhere. I'm obviously going to be using these for bowhunting, and I'm planning on buying that nice little binocular-holder out of Bass Pro which is like a shoulder harness and allows them to lay flat on your chest while coming to full draw...

Matt, it seems like you suggested a pair of Nikons a few years back that you were impressed with. Remember which ones they were?

I would prefer halfway light, mobile, good optics and good light-gathering capabilities...

Anything else I need to know before taking the plunge and buying some?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who makes the best binocs for under $200?

Ok, I'll offer my suggestion, but given the addage "you get what you pay for in glass optics" that's been beaten into everyones heads, I'm sure you'll think I'm crazy.

A few years back I was also searching in a similar price range. I was at K's merchandise, looking at all the high quality name brands. The guy handed me a pair of Minolta 8x40's that absolutely blew everything else I looked through away. Crystal clear, very bright, black rubber coated well made quality pair of binocs. I commented on how much I liked them so probably couldn't afford them, and he showed me the price tag- $69.99.

I swear, I felt like I stole something when I bought them... Unbelievable quality, best bang for the buck in optics I've ever seen, pun intended

In a tree, I can look into and through thick stuff with stunning ease. Just keep moving the focus adjustment and stuff way back pops up, with no overshadowing of the thick stuff in front of it. Can't recommend these highly enough.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

What size? compacts? Somthting that's easy to throw in a backpack- or do you want something a little more on the larger size?

Depends on what you want them for- are they going to get beat around, or are they going to be handled fairly well?

Reason I ask is that I have my "bowhunting" binocs 10x25's or 8x25's that I keep in my Catquiver backpack. They get used and abused, I've dropped them more than once from a treestand [:@], than they get lots of dust, dirt and twigs thrown in with them. I wouldn't want some $1000 Swaro's in that scenario- nor do I need them for that use.

But now if you want them for glassing out west, you may want a nicer pair that isn't going to get abused as much.

Different tools for different jobs......
Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Spike

Rangeball,

Do you know what model of Minolta Binoculars you got?

Thanks, PM
Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Alpen makes qaulity Binos for less than $200.00
Old 01-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Rangeball. We've got a K's Merchandise right here in our town. You know the model # or SKU or anything like that?

BF, I hunt close to home here in the midwest -- so I'm usually in thickets, little stands of timber, bordered by crops. Most of the times, I can't see along the field edges anyway because I'm set up inside the treeline. I'm looking for something that would help me look "into" brush as Rangeball mentioned, and maybe help scan from 40-70 yards -- the limit of my visibility most times.

But, having said that, I usually don't like those little compact ones that will fit in the palm of your hand; I was thinking more of of the classic, bigger ones, maybe like 10x42's or something like that.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think Matt is going to say much the same thing as I am about to. As BlackFrog made reference to, it depends on what type of binocular you are looking for.

Compacts? 10x25, 8x21, etc...?

Porro Prism? 7x35, 10x50, etc...?

Roof prism? 8x32, 10x42, etc....?

I received a few Cabelas gift cards for Christmas so I decided to upgrade to a decent pair of new binocs. I had used the compact models for many years with no real complaints other than I rarely took them out of my backpack. I really did not use them that much and it took me awhile to realize why. They didn't help that much as the field of view was relatively small and the small objective lens diameter really didn't offer that bright of an image (I am referring to the typical Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco "8x's"). So, two years ago I picked up a pair of 10x42s as I saw many folks commenting on them here and using them in the field. I was instantly impressed with the increased clarity and brightness along with the slightly increased magnification level. It made it much easier for me to count points for our new antler restrictions.

However, when I started to do the research around Christmas I discovered that "roof prism" binocs like the ones I had been using had more lenses/glass than your typical porro prism binocs and thus did not offer the same level of brightness and clarity when similar sizes were compared. In order to compensate for this the binoc companies put a phase coating on the prisms to correct for the loss of light but only the mid-price range roof prism binocs have it. You have to expect something in the $300 range at least if you want the phase coated roof prisms.

In that regard there were about 5 models I narrowed it down to....the Wind River Cascades, Bushnell Legend, one or two Cabelas' models and I think the one you made mention to earlier, the Nikon Monarch ATB. After comparing them side by side I went with the Nikons for one simple reason. They were as bright and clear or brighter than some of the other models and yet they were also the most compact at 5.5 inches in length and around 21 or 22 ounces.

Now, if $200 is your max spending limit then I would probably suggest either the Bushnell Trophy series or the Nikon Sporter. Neither is phase corrected but other than that there is not much difference between them and their slightly more expensive alternatives. You will notice a visual difference between each pair but like I said, if you only have so much to spend......

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of the binoculars are the same under normal light. Where the difference is, is in the light gathering cababilites in low light cinditions. I bought a pair of Leopold wind rivers last year and found that the light gathering capabilities were fantastic. The daytime characteristics are fantastic also. Usaully the lower end bino's work great during the daylight hours but will lose it in low light. At the time when the hunting is the best. Here out west we rely heavily on optics and I want the pair that will allow me to see the best under all conditions. These were just under $200.00. In wooded timber the bino's with the best light gathering capabilities would be the most beneficial. I couldn't find much difference between my 200.00 bino's and a 500.00 pair of bino's. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

MQ1, I'd agree with PA on his suggestion of the Nikon
Monarch ATB's. I bought a pair of the original ATB's back
in 1996, they were 8 x 40's. Good quality and exceptional
in low light. I have since upgraded and they are now
around my brothers neck[&:], but I would strongly consider
spending the extra $75-$100...I can tell you from my
experience that they are a quality product.

From what you've told us, I would also suggest that you
go with a 7x or 8x binocular, as opposed to a 10x or
stronger. I currently have a pair of 10 x 42's, and though
they are awesome out west and at longer distances, they
are not as functional for treestand hunting/shorter distances
in the timber as are the 7x or 8x. Also, my 8 x 40's were
definitely easier on my eyes at first and last light. It
may seem like the higher power would be better to have,
but that's not the case for hunting in thick areas.

FYI - the "holders" you are referring to are made by
Crooked Horn Outfitters. I've spent just under $50 on
two of them from Cabela's & BPS. I was in Wal-Mart the
other day and saw them in the hunting section for just
under $14[:@]. I've used mine for years and can't
imagine not wearing them while in the woods...they work
great with my old rangefinder too (Bushnell Yardage Pro
400).

Good Luck
TB
Old 01-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on some serious expertise here!

Frank, the little in-depth explanation is very much appreciated, as I am binocular-ignorant. Usually, when investing a few hundred dollars on something, I like to be as informed as possible, so thanks very much.

Are the Nikon Monarch ATB's still available? I haven't started digging through my mountain of Cabelas and Bass Pro catalogs yet...

Interesting point about the 8's instead of the 10's, Two Beards... Anyone else concur?

Quick Reply: Who makes the best binocs for under $200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.