Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OUCH!!! Arm Slap

Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OUCH!!! Arm Slap

Whenever I get stung by my compound, it's always because of string/cable creep. Always. String creep will increase your draw length, lower your brace height and, since there is less tension on the string, it will 'bullwhip' further forward than nomal.

Check your brace height and axle/axle measurements and make adjustments to get them back to spec.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Spike

Whenever I get stung by my compound, it's always because of string/cable creep. Always.
What do you mean by string/cable creep. Sorry, I am fairly new to shooting bows.

I presume I need to take it back to the dealer to get it back in spec?

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stretch is when a string elongates and then goes back to it's original length. Like stretching a rubber band and turning loose of it.

Creep is a permanent elongation of the string. Like grabbing hold of a piece of chewed gum and stretching it out. It STAYS stretched out.

The string and cables on your bow are under constant tension and they creep. If you know the factory specifications for your bow's axle to axle length and brace height, you can tell if you need to make adjustments to compensate for the creep by checking those measurements. If your bow is supposed to be 34" axle to axle with a 7" brace height and it checks 36" with a 6" brace height, you know it's time for maintenance.

Adjustments are made by pressing the bow and twisting the string and cables back to their specified lengths. So, this is something that you would need the pro shop to do. HOWEVER, I'd recommend watching them do it and learning how it's done. You can buy a portable press, like the Bowmaster, for about the cost of a couple of trips to the shop to have the work done for you. Then you can handle those little problems yourself.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Spike

Authur P ...

Thanks for the information. I will check my measurements and get them fixed if needed.

PM