Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning

Old 01-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Tuning

Exactly what is involved in tuning a bow? I've heard it is reccommeded but I've never done it. What tools do I need and what do I need to do with them to tune my bow properly? Also, how often do I need to do this?

Old 01-11-2004, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Tuning

I know how you feel, I use to be there.

Tuning isn't really hard, it just requires some knowledge of what you need to do.

First, check to make sure that you bows specs meet the factory specs. This means, make sure that you axle to axle length and brace heigh are the same length (or very close) to the factory specs. If they aren't, you can twist the string to get them there. This requires a bow press and some knowledge of how to use it and what to do.

After that, then, tuning is just making sure that the arrow leaves the bow straight. You can do this by paper tuning, atleast it is the easiest way. What you want to do is set-up a piece of paper with a target a could feet behind it. Step back a few feet from the target and fire and arrow through (with a field point on). You will see either a perfect hole with three cuts from the vanes, or you will see tear marks which will show which way your arrow is comming out of the rest. You can adjust your rest and nock point to get a "bullethole" which is what you are looking for. After you shoot through paper and get a perfect hole, you should always take a few steps back and try again, then repeat that until you are confident that the arrow is leaving the bow perfectly straight.

When that is done, alot of guys like to do a "group" tune. In order to do this, all you need to do is take your shortest pin (mine is 15 yards), and shoot at the top bullseye. Shoot about 3 to 5 shots at 15 yards, then, step back to 25 yards and do the same thing. YOU STILL WANT TO USE YOUR 15 YARD PIN!!!!, then, do the same thing at 35 yards. You should notice that your arrows are lining up in a vertical line. If it is a diagonal line, then you know that something needs a little fine tuning.

There are further steps that you can take, but, this will get you tuned great for hunting purpouses.

I am sure the guys on here will help out in more detail. If you aren't confident in doing this, take your bow to a good pro-shop and have them tune it up for you. It may cost you some $$$, but, it is worth it. You will get better arrow flight, you will be more accurate, and your arrows will carry their energy for longer periods of time which creates more penetration!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will get you started . http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip
Old 01-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally tune to field points in the spring, getting ready for tournament season. Usually retune around June to fix any creep in the string/cabling system. After tournament season, I retune with broadheads to get ready for hunting season. Any time the bow isn't shooting the way it should, I check the tune and fix it if necessary.

The problem with taking your bow to the shop and having them tune it is the bow will be tuned for someone else, not for you. You won't likely grip the bow the same as the tech does. The bow needs to be tuned to your unique shooting style to be truly tuned and the only one that can possibly do it right is YOU. Some shops will work with you and do the adjustments while you do the shooting, but shops like that are few and far between. So, anyone that shoots a bow needs to know how to tune and maintain it themselves.

Tuning can be an aggravating, frustrating trial, but it gets easier with experience. The Easton guide tells you all the basics you need to get started.