Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt X-tec chrono numbers

Old 01-10-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Hoyt X-tec chrono numbers

Just purchased a new 2004 Hoyt x-tec after shooting it for about an hour and a half at the pro-shop last night. The bow is really nice. Everyone there commented about how quiet the bow was. I currently have a patriot dually and was concerned about giving up a lot of speed going to the x-tec. Here's what I have found out regarding this...

First, My dually has 29" modules installed, but the AMO draw length actually measures almost 29.75". The timing marks on the cams are in the correct place and the bow is tuned well. With a hunting setup of 69# draw weight, and a string outfitted with peep, brass nock, and leeches the bow will shoot a 350 grain arrow at 315 fps. My hunting arrows weigh 445 grains, and out of the same setup, they chrono at 282 fps. Now for the x-tec numbers...

The x-tec was running short on draw length as reported by someone else on the message boards. When set at 29" it was actually about 28.5", so for comparison, we set the modules at 30" which gave an actual draw length of almost exactly 29.5" The bow's draw weight when bottomed out measure 68# on the same scale that the dually was measured with, so it was actually a pound lighter in draw weight. There was not a peep on the string, but the standard string leeches and a brass nock and a brass/rubber cushion button were installed. The 350 grain arrow chrono'ed at 301 fps. This is really good considering that Hoyt says the IBO for this bow is 310 fps at 30" and 70#. Here's the real kicker...When I shot my hunting arrow through the chrono, I was getting 278 to 279 fps. This is within 3-4 fps of my dually which had a .25" longer draw length, and one pound heavier draw weight. Remember the IBO on the dually is listed at 332-340 fps.

It looks to me like the x-tec seems to do very well with the heavier hunting arrows. I am really pleased with it's performance coupled with the smooth draw and 75% let-off. This is my first Hoyt, and actually my first split-limb bow of any kind. So far I am very impressed
Old 01-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt X-tec chrono numbers

Congrats on the new Hoyt. Those numbers aren't too shabby. I am getting 270ish out of my Vipertec with a hunting setup.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:14 PM

I looked at some of the new Hoyts about a week ago,,,,, I need to get the wife another job!!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very pleased with my XTec. It is a great shooting bow with good speed and an extremely quiet shooter. I am seriously considering one more bow purchase this yaer and can't make up my mind. I'm thinking about trying one of the "shotries" from Mathews, Hoyt, or BowTech. Honestly, as much as I'm loving my X, I just may choose the ViperTec.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats with your new bow, and i think its a good choice.
However, you dindt mention the difference in brace height on both bows according to the difference in speed.
The main thing is the fact that you like the bow and when you can handle the shorter braceheight the same as on your Dually, it will be ok.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

IL-Cornfed, if you want a shorty, I highly recommend the Vipertec. I was kinda leary about short bows for the longest time until I picked it up and shot it at the shop. It balances and has a feel much like my Cybertec did. I think this attributed to the longer riser they used this year. Also, I shot it side by side with an Xtec, which I was seriously looking at as well and I truely feel there is much less vibration in the Vipertec. The limbs are laid back more on it and I think that is the big difference between the two.

Check it out, I think you may be surprised.