Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Difference between 65/80% letoff?

Old 01-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference between 65/80% letoff?

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

There's more than one way to skid a cat too...
Old 01-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think Arthur is trying to argue, just giving an alternate point of view.
No, I don't want to argue about this crap AGAIN. The fact is that high letoff bows are more demanding of good form and that makes them more critical to use in hunting situations than lower letoff. Sorry if you guys don't like dealing with facts, but you simply cannot escape it.

Archer18, the quote you came up with is taken w-a-a-a-y out of context. Just to clear the air and set matters straight... The proper context of that statement is comparing traditional bows to compounds. Even further, it's comparing shooting a compound fingers and barebow to shooting traditional bows. It is not applicable to differentiating between 65% and 80% letoff.

And NO, I have not hunted elk. But I have hunted these skittish Texas whitetails from the ground for many years. With recurves and longbows and selfbows and compounds... And YES, it darn sure IS a challenge to draw and shoot without getting busted.

Drawing and getting a shot off when the shot is presented without getting busted is the second greatest challenge in bowhunting. It is integral to bowhunting. You use equipment to eliminate that challenge, then you are doing something other than bowhunting. IMO, you might as well be using a crossbow and I do lump high letoff compounds right in there with crossbows.

Now, there's you something to argue about. Like I said though, I don't intend to get into again. I won't change my opinion and I doubt I ever have changed anyone else's opinion in the several hundred times I've wallowed around in the muck with this issue.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM

Why would you want to have more than 65% before this year? What if you lucked out, and arrowed a buck for the book? Sure would suck to not put it in theh book because you wanted to hold a few less pounds.
Some guys don't care if it goes in the book or not. Putting a Pope in the "book" in no way makes it any better of a trophy.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Some guys don't care if it goes in the book or not. Putting a Pope in the "book" in no way makes it any better of a trophy
Although I am a proponent of 65% and less......Rack Attack's statement is accurate.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Arthur that a 65% letoff is a more accurate setup but there are some that can't shoot them as well as 80%.IMO the reason is they just don't give them a chance.They pull the 65% back after shooting 80% and automatically don't like the feel and the few shots they take with it,they are complaining about the feel.If most would get passed that and give the bow an honest chance at 65% letoff and let their muscles get used to the hold,they would, in most cases find that they shoot better than they ever had.

It is also true that a bow will shoot slightly faster at 65% than at 80% unless you are moving a peg back to achieve 80% ,then yes,the 80% will shoot about the same speed because the draw is slightly longer.

Here is what I did to shoot 65% for hunting and not have to hold a bunch of weight.Back the poundage down.I have shot up to 64#'s with 75% letoff(on 1 bow) but I shoot 58#'s now with 65% letoff(on different bow) and I shoot better because of it.It actually takes more poundage to hold as steady with higher letoff and higher poundage(very slightly more) to achieve the same speed,unless stop pegs are used as stated above.

I don't like the pulling back early and waiting philosophy but to each their own.I believe you are setting yourself up for bad shots when you are shooting tired.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:19 PM

Im gonna say one more thing,

Here's an idea: IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, DON'T CHANGE IT!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep! Who cares about the book

Old 01-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree if it works then don't change but also be open minded to change.I am not telling anyone there way is wrong.I just want to put out there the pros and cons of both for the newer, less experienced to make an informed decission for themselves.That was the question asked.

I also agree,who cares about the book but I would still like to kill big enough animals that would qualify but I wouldn't put them in.I shoot 65% strictly for accuracy reasons and nothing else.