Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fixed blade broadhead tuning

Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fixed blade broadhead tuning

"I suspect that the 3" fletching is inadequate for the task of controlling fixed blade heads, especially at that speed. They'll easily control a field point."

Im SURE this is part of the problem . Try 5" feathers on a offset or heilical , and spin the arrows to make sure the broadheads are on straight .
Old 01-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like everyone covered what I was going to suggest. High speeds and fixed blade heads can be a pickle, but can be tuned. Have you group tuned your bow with field points? I dont know about others here, but that is for me the biggest tuning tool I can use. I paper tune only to get me close, especially the vertical adjustment, then I group tune my left and right adjustment till I'm perfect out to 40 or 50 yards or so.

With that, most times my broadheads are pretty close, at least grouping pretty well.

I'm not all that familier with aluminums anymore either, but you may want to give a stiffer spine a try. Buy one or two stiffer shafts and shoot em. Often times, broadheads like a stiffer spine.

Other than that, do everything that everyone else said. Tuning BH's to shafts can't be stressed enough.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others said, definitely go the the larger fletch, and be sure your arrow/bheads are aligned perfectly(no wobble). Based on what I've seen over the years, my guess is that you are underspined with 2215's. I'd try a stiffer shaft as well. 2216 or 2315 would probably be a better choice for your setup. Be careful not to get too caught up in paper testing, it can drive you crazy.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Spike

As others have stated I agree! but ! One thing all others have neglected to advise is that the 100gn head would be too light for the 2315 or 2514 one needs 12 to 15% weight forward that would be only achieved by going to a 125gn MUZZY (or similiar fixed).

In short what you need:

5" fletch HELICAL
STIFFER spine
HEAVIER MUZZY

Try that and I am certain your problem will be solved.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you go to my website www.broadheadtests.com you will find some good info on tuning fixed blade heads. read that and if you have any questions let me know. The easton tunning guide is also a good starting point as well.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure glad somebody hit on it. WV finally said that his arrows are underspined. I think they are grossly underspined and as such, you can use one or all of the remedies suggested (they are all part of a shooting system) and still get lousy results. Get stiffer arrows FIRST.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:03 AM

If you want them to fly really well:

1) use a heavier spine or reduce draw weight by 8-10 lbs.
2) use a heavier broadhead to get more weight up front
3) use 5" helical feathers
4) group tune with the broadheads at both 20 and 40 yards.