:D" />

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

So... What the %$^! IS Virtual Mass???

Old 01-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So... What the %$^! IS Virtual Mass???

Yeah sometimes I wish Ol' Norb could just follow up some of those reports with ........"Ok, for you dummies that means that this particular bow will be more efficient with heavy arrows"

I would be perfectly fine with the "you dummies" part. I qualify and would take no offense.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:41 AM

James Park wrote up a good explanation of virtual mass. Here it is:

"When you draw the bow you store energy. Not all of this energy gets to the arrow after the release, some of it is lost. A well established way of describing this is by the use of "Virtual Mass".
The way this works is that after release some of the stored energy of the bow is used to accelerate the arrow up to its final speed. The amount of energy that is lost could be described as being used to accelerate an effective mass of the moving parts of the bow (the "Virtual Mass").
So: the energy stored in the bow is split between the actual arrow mass and the bow's "Virtual Mass".
The arrow energy proportion is: (arrow mass)/(arrow mass + Virtual Mass).
The wasted energy proportion is: (Virtual Mass)/(arrow mass + Virtual Mass).
That is, the lower the arrow mass in proportion to the Virtual Mass, the lower the proportion of the bow's stored energy that ends up with the arrow. The lower the Virtual Mass, the more efficient the energy transfer will be, and the faster the bow.
The Virtual Mass is determined by many things: the mass of the string and other moving parts such as the limbs, cams and wheels, air resistance of the limbs, material losses in the limbs, etc.
You cannot measure the Virtual Mass directly. It is best measured by first measuring the fill percentage and the energy stored by the bow, and then measuring the velocity of an arrow of known mass. You can then calculate the Virtual Mass of the bow."
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Okay... I was right there with the lesson all the way until it got to the part about 'fill percentage' and then suddenly I found myself outside in the blizzard of ignorance again. []
Old 01-09-2004, 07:47 AM

Fill percentage is the percent of the rectangle made by plotting the powerstoke vs peak draw weight that is filled by the force-draw curve.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was right there with you too Arthur.

So, in other words, a bow that does not waste much energy into its limbs, cams, etc. in order to get them to work but instead transfers more energy into the arrow would then have a lower virtual mass figure and would then be more efficient....right?

As for measuring it indirectly...yeah, what is a "fill percentage"...in layman's terms?

Edited....

Robvos,

Ahhhh!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda lost it right after it said "James Park"

Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Rob. Now the problem lies with my algebra skills.... actually my lack thereof.

Good thing you don't have to be a mathmagician to shoot arrows.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM

Who the %$^! really cares what it means.....It probably won't make you a better shooter than you already are......
Old 01-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who the %$^! really cares what it means.....It probably won't make you a better shooter than you already are......
No, you are probably right but it could potentially lead to a more appropriate purchase when it comes to your next bow and since this is the technical forum then it definitely has a place here.

Quick Reply: So... What the %$^! IS Virtual Mass???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.