Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

overdraw

Old 01-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default overdraw

Would someone recommend an overdraw that would fit my bow I shoot a fred bear TRX solo cam. Also what overdraw 1"2"or 3" and anything else you feel relevant. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: overdraw

Depends on what arrowsyou plan to shoot. With the advent of the carbon arrows available to day there is no need for an overdraw. It's purpose was so you could shoot a shorter, thus lighter spined arrow to gain speed. The problem was, and still is, that when you start moving your rest too far in front or behind the bow's pivot point (the grip) accuracy declines. Today with carbon arrows you can shoot a longer (full length) arrow that is lighter than the short aluminum, maintain accuracy from the position of the rest on the riser, the arrow is more accurate because it's longer and more stabile. The overdraw is no longer needed.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curiuos.......Why do you want one?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Cloud 9, MN here. Why do you want an overdraw? You shouldn't have any trouble getting good speed out of that bow. Overdraws were popular back before Carbon arrows were introduced and most bows still had steel cables and teardrops. Now, with carbons and better bows, overdraws are all but extinct mostly.

I'm not trying to steer you from one, I'm just curious as well as to why you want one.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Spike

muzzyman88, In response to your query I am just starting to experiment with carbon arrows. As I stated last week in a similiar question, when I weighed 3 arrows, a brand of carbon and a 2315 ggII they weighed the same! The other carbon weighed 290gns. that was complete with 4" vanes, knock, and insert. That is 100gns lighter than the other 2. So. Having said all that this is why I was asking about the overdraw because not all of the carbons are lighter than the aluminium. I look forward to your response.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would bet anything that the arrow you got that weighed out the same as a 2315 is NOT 100% carbon. It's one of the carbon/glass composite arrows. Carbon Express Terminator, if I was to make a semi-educated wild@$$ guess.

The weight is one of the things I like about them, but that's beside the point.

Overdraws are pretty darn obsolete these days. Brace heights are too low to use a meaningful overdraw. You set a 5" overdraw on a bow with a 7" brace height, and you're gonna tear something up. Besides, you can set most standard rests back enough to get the equivilant of a 2" overdraw.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would never want the tip of the arrow behind my bow hand at full draw--bad things could happen,not to mention the accuracy you will lose with the shorter arrow.jmho.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Spike

O.K. thanks guys you have been most helpful look forward to talking to you all again regards from Australia.