Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MZE and broadheads

Old 02-07-2002, 09:07 PM

Default MZE and broadheads

I have read hundreds of glowing posts on the Muzzy Zero Effect arrow rest. My question is this -

If in fact this rest eliminates fletching clearance problems and your bow (solo cam) is tuned will the result be field point tipped arrows and broadhead tipped arrows that impact in the same place, assuming the proper arrow spine?

My current set up has broadheads impacting 6" lower than my fieldpoints. However, they are consistently 6" lower in good groups so I have not considered this to be an issue. In a perfect world they would both impact in the same place and I could practict with field points and broadheads instead of broadheads exclusively without being required to move my sight.

How much of this difference in impact points is due to rest contact? I shoot 64#, solo cam, 28-1/2" gold tip 5575, fixed blade Muzzy 100 gr. and would a MZE eliminate this?

This rest and the glowing reports have really captured my attention.

Thanks

Shan
Old 02-08-2002, 04:33 AM

Default RE: MZE and broadheads

Shan,

Yes, you can get your broadheads to group with your fieldpoints, if your bow is properly tuned and your arrow spine is correct. The Muzzy rest will help out to some extent, but is not a cure all. Most of the time when we add a broadhead to our arrows we generally weaken the spine of the arrow some. This is because the broadhead arrow is now longer than our fieldpoint arrow. So if your arrows spine is a bit on the weak side to being with, this could be a problem. There are ways to compensate for this: have an arrow that has adequate spine to begin with to allow for the broadhead, shoot a lighter tipped broadhead than our fieldpoints, or shorten the arrow some if possible.

The Muzzy ZE is a great hunting rest, but it does not compensate for bad tuning or incorrect arrowspine selection.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:55 PM

If there are only three or so spines to choose from when shooting carbons (Goldtips, CE, etc.) do you really have a choice of arrow spine. If not then how do we acheive the same arrow flight between field points and broadheads?

Edited by - Illini on 02/08/2002 13:58:28
Old 02-08-2002, 01:06 PM

Shan, I had the same problem. My Darton with a Quicktune 3000 rest was continually shooting broadheads at least 5" lower than my field points. I had a high tear that I just couldn't get rid of. Switched to the MZE, instantly started shooting bullets and now my BH's hit right with my field points.

I'm not saying that it will solve everyones problems but it sure cured mine.

Turc
Old 02-08-2002, 02:19 PM

Illini,

Part of the tuning of your arrows is the selecting the correct broadhead weight. You can further adjust an arrows spine by changing the tip weight. Adding weight weakens the spine and taking it away stiffens up the spine. So even though you purchase a predicted spine range you can change it some by your arrow setup.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-08-2002, 04:20 PM

The broadhead arrow is not weaker because with a broadhead the arrow is longer. The shaft size and length has not changed any. It still flexes just the same. It is that broadheads make the shaft more critical of small tuning mistakes than fieldpoints do. If you slightly move your rest up until your broadheads are hitting with your fieldpoints, you will be done. Unless your arrows are already underspined. Not trying to start an argument, just stating a fact. If the length of your points were a consideration, you would see it listed in the arrow charts stating this is arrow spine is coorect unless you shoot a fieldpoint over 1" long.

Edited by - 3D4PSE on 02/08/2002 17:20:59
Old 02-08-2002, 08:49 PM

3D4PSE,

I beg to differ with you! Check every arrow chart out there, the spine changes with the arrow length required for a given drawlength and draw poundage for any arrow shaft. Go to Steve Jackson's site and run a few senerios changing the arrow lengths on the interactive site and see what happens. Its just like taking a 10 foot piece of 2" PVC pipe and putting a 5 pound weight at the end of it and holding it out horizontal. The pipe will bend and flex a certain amount with that amount of weight. Now change the weight to 10 pounds and note the bend and flex, the diameter and length has not changed, but the pipes stiffness has been effectively weakened. Now add 5 feet of pipe to the length with the same weights and in each case the pipe will flex more than with the shorter lengths. A shorter pipe will be stiffer ie. a five foot piece has less overall flex than a 10 foot piece same weigh applied.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The length of your tip, whether a broadhead, or a fieldtip, has absolutely no impact as far as changing the spine of your arrow. Weight of said tip does.
FLHunter, I think you mistook what 3D4PSE was trying to say.
While I have never even seen steve jacksons chart, I have had people tell me some hilarious #`s that they claim this chart has given them. I hope they were just misreading the information on it.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:09 PM

OK but you are not even considering the same thing. I am not talking about putting heavier weights on the arrow, anybody that has ever read the Easton chart knows that will change the spine as will changing the lengths of the shafts. I am well aware of Jackson's site and when you change the arrow lengths, yes you change the spine. I am talking about screwing a broadhead on the shaft not a scenario like you stated. A shaft with a certain length and a specified weight on the end of it will flex the same whether it is a 1/2 point or a 1 1/2" weight and that is all we are talking about, not 5' or 10 lb weights. You are reading alot more into this in my opinion. Look at the Easton site, it lists the correct arrow length as the groove in the nock to the insert fopr arrow spines. The length of the point is covered by the weight of the point, not the length of it. You will not find where it asks for the length of the arrow point as it does not factor into the shaft spine, only the weight of it.

Edited by - 3D4PSE on 02/08/2002 22:15:39
Old 02-08-2002, 09:11 PM

Also, I did check Jackson's site and it asks for correct arrow length. That is the length from the string groove to the insert. You can check the Easton site to confirm how to properly measure an arrow.

Quick Reply: MZE and broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.