Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Damaged Fletching (Feather)

Old 12-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Spike

Default Damaged Fletching (Feather)

I am fairly new to bow hunting/shooting, but have noticed a problem on my bow that does not seem quite right.

I have a Centerest Flipper Arrowrest that was installed and setup by my local dealer. However, all of my arrows have one of the fletchings getting messed up after shooting. It is the bottom one that would go by the rest.

It appears that it is actually rubbing the rest on the way by, "ruffling the feathers" on each arrow.

Question... Is this normal or is there something setup wrong?

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Damaged Fletching (Feather)

Are the nocks oriented so the cock feather (the odd colored one) is pointed out to the side when the arrow is on the string or is it straight down? It needs to be out to the side on a flipper type rest. If that's okay, then raise your nockset by about 1/8" and it should fix the problem. Also, make sure your flipper is flipping.

To fix the feathers, hold them in the steam over a pot of boiling water, just long enough for them to come back into shape. Make sure the feathers aren't leaning against anything while they're drying and they'll be good as new.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Spike

Arthur, thanks for the reply...

The odd-colored feather is pointing out (to the left on my right-handed bow). The flipper is flipping. You can tell when it gets out of the way, because only about the first 1 inch of the feather is ruffled. After that there is no contact.

Thanks for the suggestion on how to fix the feathers... I will have to do that.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

...only about the first 1 inch of the feather is ruffled. After that there is no contact.
It definitely sounds like your nockset is a little too low and is slamming the feather into the flipper arm before it can get out of the way. Raise the nockset a smidge and it should cure the problem. Also, you might try taking about a half turn off the poundage on the bottom limb.