Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Black Max 2 Feedback

Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Black Max 2 Feedback

Thinking about buying this as my first bow. Is it more than what I need for deer and for a 'beginner'??? If not this bow, any other suggestions?? Any thoughts/feedback/information from current users would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Black Max 2 Feedback

The Black Max is not exactly a bow for a beginer the brace height is around 5" (from memory) is not very forgiving.

As a beginer you should be looking for a bow with atleast a 7" brace height with 8" probably being the most forgiving and being able to learn proper form.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 PM

I agree with Ausie-guy. Find a bow that has a more forgiving brace height to learn proper form. 7-8" would be my recommendation as well.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I used to shoot a Zmax.. basically an earlier version of the blackmax.. I shot all the time and was pretty proficient w/ it. I loved the bow. Then I started a family and didn't shoot it much over the winter... and come spring I couldn't shoot nearly as well w/ it. It was very critical and the slightest hand torque would send arrows a few inches off their mark.
So as the others said.. I'd look for a bow w/ a bit more brace height. Also look at other brands besides Mathews.. they are not the end all be all of bows as many believe. But Bowtech on the other hand....
Old 01-03-2004, 09:36 PM

My brother shoots the blackmax 2 and complains about the short brace height,you will be much happier with a bow of greater brace height of 7"or more, Good luck!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read everyone's post again. They speak the truth!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Black Max is a fine bow however I agree with the other posts. It is not forgiving. I shot a Z-light for years . It has the same design with a little more brace heigth , but not much. It is very touchy.If you are looking for a Mathews, The Legacy or the Lx are very nice shooting bow.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second swampdog , get more brace height . Ive shot for years and dont like bows with less than 6 1/2 " of brace , much better with 7 to 7 1/2 or more .
Old 01-04-2004, 05:52 PM

Hey Hey Hey

Whats going on?

I shoot a Bowtech Extreme Solo, This is a great bow boys, but the brace height is 5.6in, not to forgiving, but I also have been shooting scince i was about five. Archery is a sport that takes practice, practice, practice, and you have got to know your bow, live with it, eat with it, sleep with it...jk dont take it that far, but on a serious note you have just got to look at many bows, do some research, go to your sportsmans and just go down the line shooting thier bows until you find one that "talks" to you... Archery and bowhunting are beautiful things i respect you for choosing to buy a bow and i welcome you to archery

Good Luck