Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Ultimate Steel Fixed Blade

Old 12-25-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Rocket Ultimate Steel Fixed Blade

Did anyone out there have any trouble with the new Rocket Ultimate Steel fixed blade broodheads this past season? I tried the 75 grain head, on the advice from the owner of our local pro shop. I pull 70 pounds, and other than spine shots, I can't remember too many Deer that weren't complete pass throughs. The buck I arrowed this year was at 20 yards, broadside. Right through both lungs. He carried the arrow, sticking out on both sides, to where he dropped. Till this season I was using Miniblasters in 75 grain, with great success. Usually pass throughs with blood blowing out both sides. I think I'm going back to them. Any thoughts or experiences on the fixed blade Rocket, good or bad?

Thanks,
John
Old 12-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rocket Ultimate Steel Fixed Blade

The season before last I did take a buck with the 100 grain version of the Ultimate Steel. I think the cut was like 7/8 of an inch or something along those lines. 30 yard broadside shot on a nice buck. I got a complete pass through but there wasn't any blood trail to follow. The buck went about 120 yards or so and expired. I can't blame the poor blood trail entirely on the head because I did hit a little high. But the wound channel was very small.

Long story short, I just feel there are better heads out there to use than these.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:11 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I just tried these on the advice of a guy who I think knows what he's doing. I'm for sure going back 100% to the miniblaster 75's. They're pretty devastating, like a 1 5/8" cut, or something like that.

Thanks Again,
John
Old 12-26-2003, 02:55 AM

Regardless of what type of broadhead is used, without diverse and accumulated evidence obtained under under actual or closely simulated hunting conditions that penetration of a particular head seems to be consistently poor, a broadhead that occasionally does not obtain a "through-and-through" does not indisputably demonstrate that the broadhead has poor penetration qualities. There are numerous other variables that can impede penetration of a shaft that the broadhead is usually blamed for.

However, a broadhead is the one piece of equipment that the user must have full confidence in. Regardless of lack of an abundance of evidence, if the person reasonably suspects the broadhead does not perform well, he or she cannot be accused of being too hasty for dumping the broadhead.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:29 PM

c903,
WOW.....and Yeah, you're right. I don't have confidence in the Ultimate Steel. I've taken tons of Deer with the Miniblasters, so it's back to the old tried and true!

Thank You!
John
Old 12-27-2003, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's just say after testing them severl differnt times I was not impressed. Some better choices in smaller 3 blade heads would be the Rocky Ironhead 100 or the new Boss Bullet from wasp. Both these heads fly great, penetrate deep and hold together.