Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Seen this yet?

Old 12-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Seen this yet?

I will add this.

The Bowtechs out of the box will shoot slower than the IBO rating mainly because they are shipped with the hush kit, 1 brass nock and 2 eliminator buttons.

For the IBO rating there is nothing on the string except a tied in nock.

So that would account for most of the speed lose.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the purposes of our test, we don’t need to pull out all the stops. We just need to level the playing field between the two bows. So we setup each bow for exactly 30” draw length, 70# peak draw weight, and left each bow setup with it‘s standard let-off. We then installed a standard TM Hunter arrow rest and a single brass nocking point on each bow, but all string silencers and other accessories were removed for the test.
From the horses mouth. Maybe they got a 300 fps one, with a slight cam tweak/tune and the brass nock, this could account for a 6 fps change...

I wish they'd state what the birth cert was on the test bow...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Range,
There are a bunch of reasons why the speed could be slower for BOTH bows.......I've gotten speeds with the same set-up as much as 12fps different from 3 different chronos I shoot thru and they are ALL THE SAME MODEL! Every shop swears THEIR chrono is correct? Even HOW you shoot thru a chrono can affect speed by way more than you would think. Speed is always a tough entity to pin down.

My guess is that yeah it's probably one of the low end speeds, plus BowTech rates their speeds with only a tied in nock set. The brass one will drop the speed by 2 maybe 3fps vs what BowTech uses,so you could be looking at a high 290's (298ish) bare bow to begin with.
I know mine came from the factory at 300fps with the hush kit and brass nock, so if I took off everything it would probably only be a 304-305 rated model. Middle of the road.
I've heard the hush kit is only eating up 2fps on most models.

Throw in any variance in Chronos and the speed is easily accounted for, I think BowTech has always stated that shooters should watch for as much as a 2% variance in stated speeds in either direction just because of how different chronos can be.

When I get mine through a chrono I'll be sure to list the speeds I got with everything precisely weighed and measured.
I have actually measured my AMO draw length and it is quite good! My bow comes in even better than the "Test" bow at a HAIR under 30 1/4" I can't quite call it 30 1/4". That's VERY good if you know anything about stated draw lengths VS. actual AMO.

I would love to go into the draw lengths I had on some other manufacturers bows I've owned but its almost Christmas.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was very very interesting! I wish they had those on a bunch more bows!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Amen, Cloud 9! It took me about the whole night to read it all word-for-word, sneaking peaks at it while family floated in and out. Pretty thorough, and a real good read.