Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro 40 versus UltraTech for spots

Old 12-23-2003, 07:27 PM
CWB

Default Pro 40 versus UltraTech for spots

Which bow would be the best for spot shooting? the Bowtech Pro 40 DC or the Hoyt Ultra Tec with 2000 series limbs? Trying to decide....
Old 12-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pro 40 versus UltraTech for spots

CWB,
Since speed is not a consideration for spot shooting do you mind me asking why you are considering the Pro40 DC for spots? Is it because you can really micro-tune a dual cam?
I would think that the Pro40 Freedom would be a better suited bow for spot shooting than the Dually with its much higher brace height and smoother drawing cam?

Also with the Ultratec? Why not 3000 limbs?
Sorry for all the questions?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:51 PM

I've got my '03 Pro 40 Dually set up for indoors right now shooting 2315 X7's that weigh 498 grains. The draw weight is set at 60 pounds and have a 29.5 inch draw and it's still shooting 257 fps. The bow is VERY accurate but I'd recomend a 50 pounder for spots, depending on what holding weight you personally like. There will still be plenty of speed at 50 and will be easier on your club's back stops. I think the Pro 40 Dually's real home is on the 3D range
Old 12-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

CWB,

Between the two choices you have I think it would just boil down to personal preference. Both are excellent bows.

For me, I would go w/ the Pro-40 Freedom cam or Pro-40 Wheel bow for spots in the BowTech models, and the Pro-Tec if I was going w/ Hoyt.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with JeffB, those are the two that I would choose for spots if they were the only brand choices available. My advice is to not limit yourself on this, and check out all of the truly "top" spot bows in addition to the ones mentioned above before settling on anything--Martin Scepter 3, Barnsdale Classic, Bowman Accuriser, and of course my personal favorite, the Merlin Supernova----

Old 12-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, That don't look like a Hoyt Ultratech or a Pro 40 DC either one, but It does look like it's a shooter.

I agree with the statements above, for spots you'd probably be better off with either a 65% let off Wheely or Pro 40 FC. However, you should certainly try out the Ultratech too before you make your decisions.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry Pat, I get carried away with all of these pics of awesome bows sitting in my computer now![8D][8D]

Any of the aforementioned bows will serve you well CWB. Merry Christmas!

(back to wrapping presents now.) Pinwheel 12
Old 12-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kevin,
How do you concentrate on the target face with that sparkling bad boy! [:-] (Insert wolf whistle here) Looks like it came out of King Tut's tomb!

Pretty bow.......And I saw your Blue Max3000, That thing is beautiful!
Old 12-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, Matt, much appreciated! I've been through about 15 different pairs of sunglasses trying to find just the right ones that will allow me to not be blinded but still see the target when shooting that color Supernova---Gargoyles, Oakley, Vuarnet.....[8D][8D] My Max 3000 isn't quite as bright, so it's not too bad.

Sometimes it's tough to shoot with so many people standing around asking questions too....

But, it's fine, really. I don't worry about score like I used to 15-20 years ago, so it don't matter if I can't see the target anyway![8D]

And for hunting, I've learned to always use camo.

OK, CWB, sorry about hijacking your thread, all yours.[8D] Merry Christmas, Pinwheel 12
Old 12-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of the Pro 40s I'd choose the F cam for spots. I've been shooting one for a couple of weeks now. When I finally got to an indoor range I sighted it in and shot 3 ends of 5 spot. 13 Xs. This is with a short hunting stab (5") and a Copper John Deadnuts Hunter sight, and I don't claim to be a spot shooter. Needless to say I was floored. Some shots felt like I didn't do my part but, the bow got me through it. Very forgiving. I've shot the Hoyts, but not enough to be able to fairly compare other than to say they shoot very nicely. I'd say shoot both and decide.

Quick Reply: Pro 40 versus UltraTech for spots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.