Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

It aint exactly new, but I sure do like it!

Old 12-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It aint exactly new, but I sure do like it!

Well, my Pro 40 Wheely just showed up today.

I am looking forward to a long term relationship with this one.

I know it is not brand new, but really, I think the only difference between this bow and a 2004 is the camo. The camo on my bow looks just fine, thank you.

The bow is an inch shorter than I have been shooting, but I think it might work out OK with a loop and maybe some cable shortening. Otherwise, I will go to the 29" modules.

Lighter than my departed Pro 38 DC, easier to draw at the same weight, but not as quick. I don't have it set up the way I want it yet, actually have no rear reference at all. I usually have a kisser button on the string, two tiny bright orange wraps around the string to line up the pin guard instead of a peep. Right now none of that is there. Still after just kind of throwing a WB on the bow and eyeballing everything, most of my groups (although only at 15 yds. in the basement) had 2 or all 3 arrows touching with overspined arrows. One of the few bows I've had that I question the need for limb savers. I'll probably put them on anyway, but it is not necessary.

Frank, if you are out there reading:

The draw on this bow is certainly not like the classic "wheel". These things store plenty of energy to get the speed they get. Most of the peak weight is early in the draw. To me, it seems to "wind up" almost as quickly as a hard cam. Then there seems to be a slight drop, maybe 4-5#, didn't measure it yet. This carries back almost to where most bows would start letting off. Then there seems to be just a little more drop, then smoothly drops into the valley and wall. It seems to me to be a cross between a CPS Express, and a Mathews Icon. It holds peak for a shorter time than the CPS, then drops weight to a point lower than CPS, and higher than Icon, which seems to me to hit peak, then just slope gently back to the wall. The bow is quite easy to draw for the energy stored, and (to me at least) promotes a relaxed hold at full draw, with no creep anxiety. It didn't seem that easy to draw the first couple of pulls, but after shooting it a while, I picked up Frankenstein with the Oregon Black Knight cams, which felt really smooth to me compared to the Pro 38. My reaction to taking a few shots with that one after shooting the Wheely was "Man, I have to keep pulling on this for a long time."

The bow looks like it should have been hanging on a padded hook in a showroom of a pro shop. Definitely well cared for.

It is not a Liberty, but I think I am now inspired to start saving up for one!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It aint exactly new, but I sure do like it!

Hey Jeff..glad ya got your bow, hope it suits your needs! And thanx for explaining the draw force curve...this sounds similar to the old Jennings Extreme cam (from the Carbon Extreme) or the old ProLine Riptide's cam..both of which were supa-smooth but very quick.

And yes, there is no difference in the 2003/2004 wheel bow other than camo and the new (much improved) hush-kits.

How is the wall?

Let's hear some more about it after you get it all set-up.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am most definitely reading this. I apologize for not getting to it yesterday but I have not been online since Friday...busy weekend and the little guy got sick.

I love the way those Bowtech's feel and shoot as well, but I have to laugh when you describe your new Pro 40 wheely as being an inch shorter in axle to axle length compared to your Pro 38..... Bowtech really needs to change that next year....

I tend to understand where you are coming from when describing the draw cycle. It does keep a relatively high peak weight over the draw cycle but the transition to and from it is very gradual thus making it feel very smooth. That would explain quite a bit.

Now, to let the cat out of the bag on my part....ya really need to get together with me over the holidays cuz somebody just got their 2004 Bowtech and baabbbyy does it "sing".....
Old 12-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff; I was thinking of that exact bow when I drew the Wheely. Just a bit less hump at the back than the Carbon Extreme. Otherwise, it is exactly like shooting a Carbon Extreme, if you could have eliminated 95% of the recoil and 75% of the noise, LOL

I didn't really know how many members here could remember the Carbon Extreme, though.[]

Frank; Sorry for being confusing. It is part of my profession.[&:]

I meant that the draw length was only 28". It also feels like it is really only 28, unlike the Pro 38 which seemed longer. (It was a 2001) I did set it up with the loop today. It actually feels just about right. I also discovered that the "Wheels" were a little out of synch. 1/2 twist on the cables cleared that up. I have some refletching and nock replacement to do after shooting this morning.

Glad to hear you got the MMVFT. You were waiting so patiently compared to some others! Send me an e-mail to let me know when you will be working. I know you also will be wanting to get some hunting in. I have improved to the point where I can shoot (obviously), but I'm not quite ready to hunt yet. Don't need to bust a gut now![X(]
Old 12-23-2003, 10:08 AM

JeffB- I'm very impressed with the wall on the wheelie. It is a flat section on the module lobe ifin I'm not mistakin. Similar to the 03 dually I'm pretty sure. Anyway, rock solid!

-Chief
Old 12-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff: Sorry I missed the question about the wall.[:'(]

I would have to agree with the guy who recently had the entire '04 lineup custom delivered to his home for product review. (That would be Chief) I think the wall is fine. When I got my wheels in synch this morning, it seemed to clear up any doubts I might have had yesterday. I guess if you are used to shooting an I or F cam with the limb stop, it might not seem as solid. I shoot well enough with the old Darton Viper that any "problem" with the wall on the Wheely is insignificant, at least to me.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool. I had heard the wall is pretty good on the wheel bow. I'm getting the itch to pick one up for spots.