Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

It's all your fault, but thanks!

Old 12-22-2003, 07:39 AM

Default It's all your fault, but thanks!

Earlier this year I decided that '04 would be a good time to upgrade from my 4 year old Browning. I was looking forward to trying out the Browning Eclipse & Mirage. But then they released their lineup on the web & I was a little bummed to see that they have dropped the Eclipse. They still have the Mirage, but rather than just settle on that one bow, I decided I would shop around a little after the first of the year and try several bows from several companies.

Then you all start talking about how nice the '04 Bowtechs are so I had to add them to my list to try. I really wanted to wait until most of the companies had released their new lineup before I tried any, but I had a little free time over the weekend so I made the trip to the "local" (50 miles away) Bowtech dealer. My plan was to just try them out, and then wait to try out some others when they come out and make a purchase in a couple months.

That was the plan. However that plan quickly changed as soon as I started shooting these new bows. New plan; might as well buy one of these now & enjoy it for a while, and if I find something I like better later I'll just trade this one in.

So I am now the proud owner of a very sweet shooting Bowtech Liberty. I had planned to shoot the Liberty & Pro 40 because, on paper, they are closer to the 36" ata of my current bow. I wasn't even going to try the others because I just thought they'd be way too short. However, the Pro 40 just seemed huge compared to my Browning. I'm sure it would make a great target bow, but it was just way too long for my style of hunting.

And since the bows feel and look longer than their actual ata, the Liberty and the Justice both seemed pretty close to the same size as my Browning. I shot them both several times and it wasn't easy to choose between the two. I'll save the reviewing to those with more experience & technical knowledge. But I will say that everything I've read here is right on the money.

I shot them both at 65 lbs. and it did feel a whole lot lighter than that. If the Liberty feels like you're pulling 10 lbs less, then the Justice felt like 15 lbs. less. I'm not sure why the difference, but the Justice was much easier to draw. I think my wife could have shot that bow set at 65 lbs. It wasn't an easy choice, but I finally went with the Liberty because its size was a little closer to what I'm used to shooting and it just felt a little more comfortable to me.

I got it all set up yesterday & shot for a couple hours. I took it out for an afternoon hunt yesterday but didn't see a thing. I can't wait to get home & shoot it again. If I can get out of here on time today I should have about 15 minutes of daylight left when I get home. Hmm...maybe I'll pick up some 500 watt halogen work lights on the way home.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's all your fault, but thanks!

Congrats on your new bow.

Bowtech have come a long way IMO this year and wish I could have 1 of each of their bows but have to settle for only 2.

I am currently enjoying the Justice that I picked up on Friday.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hee Hee

Welcome to the extended family Jeep

I've been telling everyone, if you don't have the money, don't shoot the Liberty cause you will want to buy it!
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeep.........don't you go killing anything with that bow yet! [] I wanted to be the first to take something with a Liberty and now I have someone pushing me........man now I have to wait a few more days too until our second archery seaosn come back in.
You're feeling tired..........no desire to hunt.........getting sleepy.........verrrrrrryyyyyyy sleeeeepy.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Matt,
Given my success rate, I don't think you really have anything to worry about. And with you in your ASAT and me in my Realtree HD, how could I ever expect to get a deer before you?

Unless I can sneak out late Thursday afternoon, I won't be able to hit the woods until Friday either so I've got no advantage there. Are you sure you really want to bowhunt when you could be using your trusty muzzleloader?

But a new bow & a little friendly competition may be just the motivation I need to help me stay in the woods a little longer in this cold weather.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeepnut.

Dont listen to Matt take a sick day and get out there and get that thing bloody.

Otherwise if Matt beats ya to it we wont here the end of it[][:-]