Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gripping too loosely?

Old 12-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gripping too loosely?

I have asked some questions involving bow grip here before but I am still debating on whats best. I used to shoot with my fingers just lightly resting on the riser, then I started really getting into shooting and started reading about different grips. I started loosening up my grip so just my thumb and index finger were touching. Then one day I shot and my bow jumped out of my hands! I realized that I loosen my fingers after the shot because i'm afraid if I keep them tight I'll torque my bow. I don't want a wrist sling so please don't suggest that. For those of you who shoot like this how do your fingers end up after the shot? Also I used to shoot fine with them lightly resting on the riser should I go back to this or will it always pose a potential torqueing risk if I ever want to get really good at shooting. Thanks for the help-Sam
Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Gripping too loosely?

I had the same problem when I started using a looser grip. I tried the wrist sling but hated it. I went back to pulling the string with the bow grip against my palm with an open hand then lightly wraping the thumb and fore finger around. I have been very consistent and have had no problems with torque. I would stick with it if it is working for you. I have yet to drop my bow or even come close with this style.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

cwilks15,

When you shoot does your thub and index finger come apart? If not then aren't you kind of gripping the bow to hard?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:42 AM

Why no wrist sling? Mine stands up on it's own and when I grab the bow it automatically goes right behind my hand. No tightening, no messing around with it. I can't imagine a way to shoot a bow without a true no torque grip without a thumb or wrist sling.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I hang my bow and if its late season than I am wearing big gloves. I do not want my big fold-back gloves to get caught in there when a deer comes.