Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height question

Old 12-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brace height question

The thing no-one is taking into account here is powerstroke.

The 7.5" bow may have an overdraw, but the powerstroke remains the same.

Torque is the big problem with an overdraw.

As far as the brace height/forgivness question, I've come to find it relies mainly on three things: how well the bow is designed, how comfy it is for you, and how good your form is. Far too many variable within those three variables to draw any absolutes.

My Martin Rage XRG w/ Z cams had a 5 & 7/8" brace and was very easy to shoot. Had sveral roboinhoods with it and could always pick it upa nd drive tacks even after not shooting it for a few months.

My ExVFT w/ 6 & 5 /8" brace is pretty darn easy to shoot.

Had two 8" plus brace height bows in recent years that shot horribly for me (or I for them ).

Comfort, good form & good bow design is key.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, Jeff, I see what you're meaning about the powerstroke remaining the same... How would you actually measure that?

And I guess also that means that any power gained comes not from any brace height, real or perceived -- or "effective" as we've been calling it in this thread -- but from the powerstroke of a bow as you've pointed out.

Also, now that you've pointed that out (about the powerstroke) why do bows then generally shoot faster as the riser is more reflexed? I mean, take a Baby G for instance. Even though it's obviously got an intensely reflexed riser which gives it a lower brace, wouldn't its powerstroke be the same as if it had a less-reflexed riser? Does just getting the arrow off the rest that much sooner add that much speed to it?

Just trying to learn here!
Old 12-19-2003, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Had two 8" plus brace height bows in recent years that shot horribly for me (or I for them ).
Yep, definitely you.

And I guess also that means that any power gained comes not from any brace height, real or perceived -- or "effective" as we've been calling it in this thread -- but from the powerstroke of a bow as you've pointed out.
Actually, brace height is half of what determines the bow's powerstroke. The other half being your draw length.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone with a 28" draw and 6" brace will have a 22" powerstroke. I've got a 33.5" draw and shoot an 8" brace for a 25.5" power stroke. My arrow is being powered by the string for an extra 3.5", but that's also an extra 3.5" of travel time for any torque I put on the bow to affect the arrow's flight path.

The longer the powerstroke, the more energy you put in the arrow. But also, the better your form has to be to maintain accuracy.