Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which carbon arrows?

Old 12-16-2003, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which carbon arrows?

I've just about got my new ('03) patriot setup.. just waiting on the stuff to show up. I'm having trouble picking out arrows. I've been to several local shops and they all try to sell me what they have on the shelfs and tell me that they are the best. I plan to shoot 3Ds w/ these and want to get them as close to 350 gr as possible. I've been looking at Carbon Express, CarbonTech, GoldTip, PSE, Easton, ect... Just want to get some unbiased opinions before I pluck down my hard earned $$$. I want something that's gonna hold up pretty well and take ALOT of shooting.

The bow is a '03 Patriot single cam set at 70# w/ a 29" draw... the arrows will be around 28.5" or so. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
KB
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Which carbon arrows?

Kbacon,

Ive been shooting the Carbon Express 3-Ds and the PSE Compition pros for the last few years and have been very happy with both of these shafts. Both have been very durable and fly great. If you decide to go with the CE i would suggest getting some bohning signature nocks to replace the originals which IMO are pretty crappy.[X(] This year im going to try some ACC's for 3-D. If you go with the 300's you should be able come up with a combo to hit 350gns. Good Luck
Old 12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

I used to shoot ACCs and loved them.. but I don't see any way to get them near the 350gr mark? Can't I put unibushings in the CEs?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:03 PM

Don't shoot them anymore, but I used to shoot 28.5" PSE Carbon Force 300's that finished up at 381 grains. That's with PSE inserts & nocks, 4" Marco vanes, and 100 grain points. FOC was just over 10%.

By using slightly lighter tips & playing around with fletching options, you could get pretty darn close to 350 grains. There may be lighter nock & insert options as well.

Had some issues with cracks developing at the nock end. Kinda scary, because some of them were hairline cracks. Mostly from getting dinged by other arrows at 3-d shoots, but a couple that were not hit from behind by anything other than a bowstring to the best of my knowledge. Had a similar experience with other brands of carbons. Unibushings would probably help a great deal with this, though they will add some weight, and make it more difficult to achieve decent FOC with very light tips.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been shooting Beman ICS 340s out of my '03 Patriot SC for close to a year now with good results. I have only had one crack during that time frame and that was more my fault than the arrows themselves. Total arrow weight with a 100 grain head, 3, 4 inch plastic AAE vanes and with the shaft cut to approximately 30.25 inches is 430 grains. That same shaft with a 75 grain point and at 28.5 inch length with 3, 3 inch vanes would probably be in the 375-380 range. The size 400s might do the trick as they are lighter per inch and since your arrow are going to be about 2 inches shorter than mine, with possibly a lighter tip weight, then the weaker spine of the 400s might be right on the money.

According to Bow Jackson's website, www.bowjackson.com, the size 400s with a 75 grain point cut to a 28.5 inch length and with 3, 2 7/8 inch plastic vanes would be approximately 367 grains. By switching that to 3 inch feathers you would be down at approximately 354 grains.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to wait and see some of the new arrows coming out at the ATA Show, I cant wait to see all the new stuff at the show[8D] I usually hate window shopping but the ATA Show is an exception for me
I know of a few companys that are coming out with new 3D arrows.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:26 PM

Gold Tip. They have new arrows this year that can get you to 350grains.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 PM

Kbacon,

If you get ACC-3-49 @28" 75gn tip 3 3"feathers should put you at 349gns. And Yes you can add uni bushings to the CE's. I think the 3-60 unis work but not sure maybe some of the other guys who use the unis with these will jump in.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Kbacon,

If you get ACC-3-49 @28" 75gn tip 3 3"feathers should put you at 349gns. And Yes you can add uni bushings to the CE's. I think the 3-60 unis work but not sure maybe some of the other guys who use the unis with these will jump in.
3-60 unis will work fine, but I prefer the Redline 410/360 bushings as they are bit longer which helps on the somewhat more fragile CX nock ends.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Carbon Force myself I really like them .I was using Goldtip's but changed to Carbon Force to get extra speed with a lighter arrow .

Check themout for yourself!

nubo

Quick Reply: Which carbon arrows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.