Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

kids bow

Old 12-12-2003, 02:21 AM

Default kids bow

I need some suggestions for a compound bow for my 9 year old son. He weighs 65 pounds and is right at 4 foot tall
Old 12-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: kids bow

treedog,

It is exceptionally difficult to make recommendations on a bow for a child simply because their physical dimensions are so much more apt to change when compared with an adult. Not to mention the fact that it is even more difficult to judge draw length, etc... on a young person since their physiques can be so vastly different and changing on such a consistant basis.

Having said that though, I might suggest that you look into a PSE Nova with Synergy or Vector wheels. They are offered in relatively light draw weights...down to a 30 or 40 pound peak if I remember correctly....and short draw lengths. The plus is that the "cams" are not only very adjustable in terms of their draw length range but also very easy to draw because of their design.

Hope this gets you started on the right path.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought my 8 yr old the Bow Tech Rascal, it's a beautiful little bow. You can get different limbs for them as they get stronger.It sure zip's the arrow's fast and is great to handle .I use a Golden Eagle but after watching her shoot the Rascal I have bought a new Bow Tech myself .

nubo
Old 12-21-2003, 07:06 PM

My son is 9 also and has been shooting for 3 or 4 years now. After starting out with the little plastic bows, he has been shooting a Browning Micro Midas which he's out grown. Now were moving into a Jennings Carbon Exteme Micro. I bought both bows from a guy at work that has kids just a few years older then my son. So that has worked out well. There's plenty of nice bow's for kids on the market.

As nubo stated you might want to check out a bow that can grow with your son. That Bowtech Rascal would be at the top of my list to check out. Plus I would think a Bowtech dealer would set you up properly. If your son get's into something that he doesn't enjoy shooting, he'll probably lose interest.

Once you get him set up check your area for 3D shoots. In SE Michigan most of the places let my son shoot for free, I believe until there 12 or so. It makes the day a little cheaper when I'm paying for myself and my other adult son. Checkout www.bowsite.com for 3D shoots.

Good Luck
Old 12-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 7 yr old son has been shooting a BowTech Rascal for two years now. I had to help him at first but, no longer. He loves this bow. One thing that disappointed him in his first bow was arrows bouncing out. This is not a problem with the Rascal. Very accurate and fast for a kid's bow.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made my kid an osage selfbow for his starter.