Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back Tension Release

Old 12-11-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Back Tension Release

Can someone please explain what this is and what are its benefits compared to other releases? Also (sorry if this is a dumb question) will they work with a string loop?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back Tension Release

The only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked!

Yes you can use them w/ a string loop.

The primary function is to teach one to shoot with back tension so that you eliminate jerking/punching the trigger, cure target panic (at least temporarily), and ensures proper aiming techniques. It promotes a "surprise" release instead of a "command" release resulting in much better and more consistent accuracy once the technique is properly learned, however for some folks it's extremely difficult tograsp/learn that method of shooting. Some folks take to it ina few months, some take a few years, some never do.

I tried one several years ago, and it was an abysmal failure. However I plan to try some the newer models they have out now from Tru-Ball or Carter that are superior to the older styles.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:29 AM

Default RE: Back Tension Release

I took to it in a few minutes, however I had the advantage of having seen the release video that Larry Wise and Randy Ulmer had put together. It isn't an exiting vid, it will get you points on the target, and it will get you up to speed on releases. It's a Robinhood video.

You can shoot any release, pretty much, using backtension, and that is covered in the vid also. The "any" release has to be a good quality one with a crisp action, and minimal travel.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I have yet to see any new releases that are better than older ones, except that some of the handles are more comfortable, if you have you know girlie man hands (he says eyeing those nicely cnc'd contours).

You can't beat the basic Stanislawski. I bought a CNC and loved it so much I figure that if this $25 thing was good all those more expensive ones must be oodles better. I thense aquired a stack of ever more beautiful releases at stratospheric prices, probably spent about 500. No improvement.

I guess a totaly fabulous safety design would be nice, but so far they all seem too fiddly, I don't want to have to give a thought to my release. That's the whole point. So I just can't wait for everyone else to get the most complicated thing possible.