Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the best finger shooter bow

Old 12-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Default What is the best finger shooter bow

What is the best hunting bow for a finger shooter? By fingers I mean three finger split style, not some mutant (if effective style) where one draws, then shoots fron only one finger. With that last kind of style, a whole range of short bows are fine, and my current Mathews Conquest II would be fine, but it's set up for IBO .

I am thinking 42" or over.

Could be a wheel bow, cam or solo cam.

So Reflex Caribou, Martin Sceptex III or Cougar III, Darton Las Vegas.

There are great Hoyt bows, and Screaming eagle, but I have been down both those routes, and for whatever reason ended up selling the bows.

Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best finger shooter bow

My first choice would be the Caribou, because of the deflexed riser and accuwheels. I like the riser and grip on the Caribou much better than what I've got with my ProTec. Second would be either the Scepter or Cougar. It would come down to a coin flip between them.

I don't know anything at all about the Darton. You just don't see Dartons around this part of the country. No dealers anywhere in the area.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Merlin Supernova. www.merlin-bows.co.uk the 2004 model has been shortened to 40.25" ATA, but sports a 9"(that's right, NINE inch) brace. Forgiveness incorporated. Combine it with the Omega hybrid, and you've got a winning combination. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

I've been researching the same question! The Caribou looks nice but I think it's kind of slow for a 2003 compound. Pinwheel 12 is lightning fast with requests for literature and the Merlin bows look very nice

What really blows is that none of the bow shops I've been to stock any 40"+ a2a Hoyt, Darton, Martin, PSE etc. bows. Of course... "WE CAN ORDER IT FOR YOU" then they wonder why folks shop the internet. [:-]

UR
Old 12-11-2003, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My personal pick would be the Pro-Tec w/ LX Pro limbs or the new Martin Razor-X at 45". Martin ScepterIII w/ XRG limbs would be good as well as the Caribou. I got to handle a Merlin SuperNova last summer and it was really nice too. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I have heard good things about the Razor, but have yet to see any pictures. We don't really have a Martin Dealer here in Ontario, not one that has any size to it. They do seem to be putting together bows that shoot well, though I don't know how they're current strategy fits with fingers. I'll have to check it out. They seem to be trying to eliminate all nock wonder, which takes the designs in certian directions that make a lot of sense, but one wonders whether they make sense for finger shooters. If your string is going to flop all over the place, would the shoot through design be worthe the loading hassle?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:41 PM

You have the option of using a cable or shoot-thru with the SAME Nitrous cam. Your choice.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:42 AM

Cool!

By the way, have pictures of the new Mathews bow with the 45" ATA been posted yet?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

The Scepter and Cougar look great, I haven't seen the Razor or this 45" Matt bow though.

I was at Cabela's(PA) yesterday, they had the PSE Dakota @$249 pretty nice for a light weight (compared to my Strike Eagle ),walkaround hunting bow. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to shoot it.

UR