Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OK I'm back to feathers. Help waterproofing?

Old 12-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default OK I'm back to feathers. Help waterproofing?

OK, I'm back to feathers with my compound. I shot some broadheads last night and was getting terific grouping at 30 yards. I went from 4 - 5" vaned arrows back to 3 - 5" high backed helical feathers. I was shooting easton 2317's with muzzy four blade 145 grain, and innerloc five blade 135 grain broadheads and was shooting 2" groups at 30 yards.

So now tell me what the best waterproofing stuff is? Powder, liguid, spray? I used to use hair spray which I was never really satisfied with and was the reason I went to vanes, but that was a while ago before any of this new stuff came out. I hunt a lot in the rain, so I need the best, and baggies may be an option for arrows on the quiver, but not the arrow sitting on my bow.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK I'm back to feathers. Help waterproofing?

I used to use that silicone powder that you put in the ziplock back and stick the feathered end of the arrow in and work it in real good. The bottle felt like it was empty.. but it was full of this stuff. I was sold when the demo guy dipped the feathers in a fish aquarium and pulled it out and it was completely dry. We purchased it and it worked great for the following years. Have to reapply every so often depending on how much you shoot. I used to shoot alot and only reapplied it once a year.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

BobCo

Use the powder first then use the liquid (spray or wipe on w/ brush).

That will take care of most anything but a complete downpour. also buy a fletch cover (fleece) for the arrows in your quiver.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:29 AM

If you use a drop-away rest, don't worry about waterproofing them. Seriously, I have noticed no difference out to 30 yards w/ mine.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to use the hairspray treatment too. White Rain hairspray. The cheapest, goopiest stuff in a can! and it worked. Sorta.

I spray my feathers real good with Scotchguard and let 'em dry overnight if I know it's going to be wet the next day.

One of the best things ever for keeping feathers dry is the Cat Quiver. Put the waterproofing on the feathers, stick 'em in the Cat Quiver. If you sit for hours with an arrow nocked up on the bow, the feathers will eventually get soaked, no matter what you put on 'em. If you leave them in the Cat, and only pull one out when you get ready to shoot, the rain will never have time to wet the feathers.

I hate wearing a Cat Quiver, but they hang quite nicely in the tree.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the powder boning sells , I think its called fletchdry . It works realy well , put it in a ziplock and put the fletch end of the shaft in and gently work it in . I use a quickie quiver and put a ziplock over the feathers when it looks like rain and I feel like hunting , which is rare , when its raining I dont like to be up in the tree hunting , if its a day long rain whats the use .
Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 AM

Get Gink dry fly liquid from any fly store (or cabelas), or get some bugfloat (larger containers). These products work better when applied as thinly as possible, givent he surface area in a dozen arrows, you might try a small brush. Scotghguard spray is also good as a base coat. Dry flies spend a whole lot longer on the water than the average fletch, and the equivalent to an "IBO 320 fps" rating is based on how long the flies float, so they have this stuff right. I also feel that wet fletches aren't the end of the world, but then again it's easy enough to keep them dry. Consider a catquiver type back quived with total fletch cover if you have furthe problems. I don't know what it was called, but there is a bow quiver that covers the whole arrow also.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm..I'll have to try some of these other suggestions...Scotchguard, huh? Any noticeable smell?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:55 AM

If I hunt in the rain I put my umbrella above me and get everything under it. My feathers stay dry that way...
Old 12-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, letting the feathers dry and air out overnight or, better, 24 hours cuts any aroma the Scotchguard leaves, at least down to where MY sniffer can't pick it up. They certainly stink less than most rubber boots I've been around. LOL

Quick Reply: OK I'm back to feathers. Help waterproofing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.