Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Liberty speed

Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Bowtech Liberty speed

I am thinking about the bowtech liberty at 80lb. 29" draw based on some of the reports that the cam feels like you are pulling a lot less. I currently have a patriot dually with a pretty stiff draw curve that I don't have any trouble drawing at 70lbs. I don't have a nearby dealer that stocks the bowtech line, so it is basically a order-only proposition. I am interested to know if someone could estimate the speed gain I would get out of the 80lb-29"liberty vs. the 70lb-29" with equal arrow weights.

Ibo at 70lb-30" with 350gr = 308
70lb-29 with 350gr = ????
80lb-29 with 350gr =???? (I know this is less than 5gpp)
80lb-29 with 400gr =????

I am actually shooting a 440 gr. arrow at about 289 out of my dually, would the 80lb liberty be close?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the bowtech lineup, its just so hard to decide!!!!

Dennis
Old 12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech Liberty speed

Assuming you lose 8 fps for the loss of 1" draw length and 7.5 fps per 25 grains of arrow weight:

70# at 29" DL with 350 grain arrow- 300 fps

80# at 29" DL with 350 grain arrow- 315 fps

80# at 29" DL with 400 grain arrow- 300 fps

80# at 29" DL with 440 grain arrow- 288 fps

Based on actual speeds posted by Bowtech design engineer Kevin Strother, these should be very close.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dennis,

If it would hurry up and get here([:@]), I have the exact bow you are looking for ordered: 80/29

I suspect you are looking at an Birth Cert. IBO speed (400 grain arrow) of around 288-292 FPS at 80/29.

I'm setting mine up (when it gets here![:@]) with A/C/C 3-71's that should weigh in around 450 grains give or take a few. I would guess with my usual set-up (loop, tru-peep) and the BowTech silencers, that arrow should clock in at right around 280.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

A/C/C 3-71's that should weigh in around 450 grains give or take a few
How you doing that? If I remember right, the last time I "built" one of these, it came in way shy of 450...

Are you going with a 125 grain head and vanes?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

A/C/C 3-71's that should weigh in around 450 grains give or take a few
Are you going with a 125 grain head and vanes?
Yup
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff,

I did not really get the sense that you were in a hurry to get your bow but....

...when you do then maybe you could actually run the numbers and see how close you are going to be to what Kevin posted.

...and remember...no back pain comments....

Old 12-10-2003, 10:50 AM

Jeff,

I can't wait for you to get your bow and run some numbers. That's what makes these message boards so nice is that people are sharing their results with others. Please let us know what you think about the draw curve as well as the speed with 80/29.

I keep wavering between the Pro 40 dually in a 70/29 and the liberty in an 80/29!!!! I am interested in better accuracy, but don't want to give up the speed and KE. What to do? What to do?

As far as arrows go, with my dually I am currently shooting 28.75" ACC 3-60 arrows with 4" vanes and 125gr point to get about 445 gr. overall arrow weight. You must be using 100 gr. points on the 3-71s to get 450. Is your FOC OK?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: live2bowhunt

Jeff,

I can't wait for you to get your bow and run some numbers. That's what makes these message boards so nice is that people are sharing their results with others. Please let us know what you think about the draw curve as well as the speed with 80/29.

I keep wavering between the Pro 40 dually in a 70/29 and the liberty in an 80/29!!!! I am interested in better accuracy, but don't want to give up the speed and KE. What to do? What to do?

As far as arrows go, with my dually I am currently shooting 28.75" ACC 3-60 arrows with 4" vanes and 125gr point to get about 445 gr. overall arrow weight. You must be using 100 gr. points on the 3-71s to get 450. Is your FOC OK?
I highly doubt I will be making a full bow report on the Liberty as is usual for me, but I will certainly post on my findings, including arrow speeds.

I will be shooting a 28" 3-71, 125 grain points w/ 4" duravanes. FOC is OK, but not quite as high as I would like it. I'm also going to fletch some up w/ 3" feathers in a full helical which works just fine for the mechanical heads I prefer. I will stay with those if I find they shoot better than the vane equipped arrows.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I highly doubt I will be making a full bow report on the Liberty as is usual for me,
And why not I might ask?
Old 12-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr
And why not I might ask?
Two big reasons Frank.

1) Time. Work & Family are tying up my free time much more lately. Kim’s new job involves a lot of travel so many of my nights and weekends are spent taking care of Hunter by myself. It would take me quite awhile to get a report out these days and by then I suspect most folks will have handled the bows by then.

2) Most importantly, Pat (BowTech Shooter) and his boss have been bugging me for over a year to join the BowTech Advisory Staff. It’s been many years since I’ve been directly involved w/ a bow company, I’m already a big fan of the company/products (as if anyone couldn't tell), and because I enjoy the folks I’ve met so far @ the company, I’m inclined to finally just give in to the peer pressure! . Even though Pat’s boss told me to “rip one of our bows a new one in a review if it deserves it”, I’d feel akward doing one of my full-blown reports being on the staff. If I accept (still discussing it w/ Pat’s boss), I’ll be joining the staff at the beginning of the New Year.

So you and Matt and whomever else will have to carry the “review torch"

Quick Reply: Bowtech Liberty speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.