Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Speed gain @ same poundage

Old 02-06-2002, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Speed gain @ same poundage

I currently shoot Mathews MQ1, 29" draw, 27" carbon arrow; 57 lbs & shoot 245fps. Are the new bows (Cybertec / Q2 / or ?)that more effecient / better design that I can greatly increase fps & KE versus current bow?
Old 02-06-2002, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Speed gain @ same poundage

My opinion....no. The two bows you mentioned will not increase your kinetic energy or efficiency levels significantly over the MQ1 that you currently shoot.

Both the Cybertec and Q2 are probably actually a few fps slower than the MQ1 when similar setups are used.

About the only advantage I would see are...

..with the Q2 you are getting a shorter bow and a quieter bow because of the harmonic dampeners. It is probably a tad heavier though as well.

...with the Cybertec, again, you are going to get a slightly shorter (about an inch) and quieter/vibration reduced bow because of the TEC riser design. The Cybertec also is available with multiple cam/limb options....which give more versatility and adjustability.

But, as stated, neither bow will give you an increase in arrow speed or kinetic energy
Old 02-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Just talked with a dealer who said the same thing. Neither bow will increase fps or KE. Its all dependant on if the bow is setup for speed or hunting.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:36 AM

There actually are several bows that can produce more KE and speed than the MQ1. The bottom line is the Bows Performance Factor (efficiency) A more efficient bow than than MQ1 will produce more anergy, and speed with identical setups.
Here are just a few:
UltraMax
SQ2
Rival Pro
And this obly covers Mathews. A quick run through my software shows to mant to list.

Bottom line, is that a more efficient bow can and will produce more energy than a lesser efficient bow.

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 02-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

TheArcheryProgram,

I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion about the SQ2 being more efficient than the MQ1?

Genuinely curious.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 PM

Real Easy!
It produces almost exact results as the MQ1 with one more inch of brace height. Identical bows (Draw length etc) this would result in 1" less powerstroke creating the same speed. It HAS to be more efficient in order for this to happen.

One more thing.....the way this thread was going would indicate that the MQ1 is the fastest most efficient bow in the universe, and we all know this is not the case. There are lots of bows that can produce more speed and energy than a MQ1 at equivilent setups.

I hope this helps!

Happy Shooting!

Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tony,

Thank you for the explanation...but it leads me to other questions for you. Yes, the brace height is an inch larger on the SQ2 but wouldn't other factors such as the limb deflection, cam style, etc... have an impact on the bow's efficiency..not just the brace height?

I am not sure where you would have gotten the idea that the thread was headed in a direction that would indicate the MQ1 is the most efficient bow. In reference to the Q2 and Cybertec it might be because it produces a faster arrow speed with the same brace height as the Q2 and actually an inch longer than the Cybertec (with a similar cam setup).

I totally agree with you that there are other bows out there that will produce a faster arrow when brace heights are equal...ie Bowtech Mighty Might, etc....

Thank you for the interesting discussion.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:51 PM

PABowhunter-
Great questions......I jumped a little too soon on the previous list of bows. Although the BPF is directly connected to efficiency, it's noit everything. The SQ2 has a higher BPF and therfore more efficient it wouldn't necessarily create more power. It creates about the same amount of power with less work! Confused? What is really more important in the original question is actually more simple than I made it. Any bow that has better IBO or AMO numbers than the MQ1 will produce more energy. It's that simple.

Now to answer you questions. The limbs, cables, cams etc....all matter to the bows efficiency! It doesn't matter however in how the BPF is calculated because the BPF is calculated by comparing a theoretical calculated speed VS. what the manufacturer published it does. By comparing these numbers the BPF is the result. It is a dimensionless number that in theory takes into account all of the variables for that bow. Now that this number is known it is very easy and VERY accurate to calculate any new speed for changes made to the draw length and arrow weight for any particular setup. (use the BPF backwards) This all only possible if the numbers that the manufacturer post are true and accurate.

Happy Shooting!

Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

dhacker, finding a faster bow is fine. But speed means doodly if your accuracy goes down the tubes. Make sure you can shoot those speed demon bows before you buy one or you will be in the market for another new bow real quick.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tony,

Thank you for the explanation. I did follow along because what you stated makes perfect sense.

Something that I think should be mentioned though, and I think I am quoting Norb Mullaney, is that efficiency doesn't fully represent any given bow. If that were the case then we would all be shooting bows with 5.5 to 6 inch brace heights because their efficiency rates are generally higher.

Again, thanks for the discussion.

Edited by - PABowhntr on 02/07/2002 07:08:02

Quick Reply: Speed gain @ same poundage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.