Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rotation and fletch contact?

Old 02-05-2002, 11:16 PM

Default Arrow rotation and fletch contact?

Do arrows with offset or helical fletch begin to rotate immediately upon release? I have heard (on this board) that they don't.

Here is my situation: I am shooting ICS carbons with straight offset fletching through a QuickTune 1000 prong rest. I have about an 8" brace height on my MQ-32. To avoid fletching contact, I have had to rotate the nocks so that when you view the nocked arrow from the rear you would swear that one of the hen vanes and the cock vane would strike the rest. But they don't.

To me, it would seem that my arrow is rotating into a "clear" position as it exits the rest. This is contrary to what I have heard in that the arrow doesn't begin to rotate until it is well clear of the bow.

What else could be happening?

The Mouse
Old 02-06-2002, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Arrow rotation and fletch contact?

There is little to no rotation in that distance of arrow travel. I would powder tune my arrows to properly index them for clearance. The can easily be done by spraying foot powder on the fletchings and seeing if there is contact when shot. Sometimes eyeballing the alignment is not enough to get it right.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mouse,

There could be two scenerio's that may be happening.

First, it is impossible for the arrow to start turning as long as the nock is still on the string. You have a relative long brace height (which I feel is a good thing). So, after the arrow has left the string, it is able to start turning. It may actually start turning for you before it leave the arrow rest.

Second, there may be a slight amount of torquing taking place. As long as it is kept constant, it is OK.

A solution to your problem may be a fall away rest. That is what I have went to. It is a Golden Key Premier Fall Away. This totally eliminates any clearence problems.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:10 AM

Just one more thing to add:
If you are shooting with a release aide, your arrows should contact the rest almost the entire length of the shaft. Refer to Easton's tuning guide. According to it, you may adjust the launcher tension on your rest.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2002, 09:21 AM

Mouse

i agree with bobco...i also have a 32 and i had a lot of problems with getting correct clearance. i finally went to the muzzy ze and after shooting it only a few times i am wondering why i didnt do it a couple years ago.

i had bulletholes in the paper after 2 arrows!

i tried the savage drop away with the magnet. it did not work. the bow doesnt seem to produce enough shot to drop the rest correctly. id stay away from this one. (it works great on an older pse though)

John
Old 02-06-2002, 09:22 AM

...SHOCK...not shot...

John
Old 02-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Theres a easton video that shows what the arrow does upon release. I was surprised, on some shots the arrow was flexing before clearing the rest. I'l try to get the name.
VH
Old 02-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Theres a easton video that shows what the arrow does upon release. I was surprised, on some shots the arrow was flexing before clearing the rest. I'll try to get the name.
VH
Old 02-06-2002, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. Thinking about what you all have said makes me think that I am probably torquing the bow with that big ole fatty Mathews grip. My shrink tube silencers are not wearing evenly which might be more evidence of torque.

The Mouse
Old 02-07-2002, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot to mention that since I have went to the Fall Away rest, I am able to put four fletchings on my arrows with no clearence problems what so ever. Broadheads can fly a little more stable with it.