Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

'03 Patriot vs '03 VFT

Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default '03 Patriot vs '03 VFT

I'd planned on buying the '03 Patriot (single cam)... but just found a really good deal on a '03 VFT (the VFT is $50 cheaper than the patriot).. All the info that I'm finding is on the new '04 models. How do these 2 bows compare in speed and shootability. It's my understanding that they're very close... and that I can't go wrong w/ either one. I'll be using the bow for 3D and hunting.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: '03 Patriot vs '03 VFT

On paper the '03 Pat SC is the more forgiving bow...with a less reflexed riser and larger brace height. However, many folks that own the '03 EX VFT have reported it to not be as critical to shoot as its brace height and riser design would suggest. The speed difference is approximately 13 fps when using the highest rating of the range for both bows.....320 versus 333 fps ('03 models).

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 PM

I don't own one yet but I was able to shoot both at the local dealer for 2003 and found the Patriot a little smoother. I could surely get used to either model as they are both easy to shoot and the VFT is a little faster. If I were picking I would go with the Patriot .
Old 12-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I decided to go w/ the Patriot.. no real reason.. Sent payment today. Thanx alot guys for the help. Anyone have any tips for setting it up or favorite arrows?

It'll be 70# w/ a 29" draw. Prolly gonna be shooting a GKF TKO or some similar drop away. I want to get the arrows as close to 350 gr as possible which prolly means full carbon. Any that you guys favor over others? I've heard that the Vapors don't stand up well.. so I was looking at the other options... Also was told the Bowtechs like a little higher spine than what's normally called for.. any truth to that? Gonna use a PSE fiber sight that I have on hand.. and eventually go w/ a Spott Hogg. What wrist sling do you guys normally use w/ this bow? Also I plan on new string/cable.. any preferences on which is really the best? Any other suggestions?

Also.. how hard would it be to convert it to a dually (I figure cam and string/cable swaps).. and would it really be worth it?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBacon

I decided to go w/ the Patriot.. no real reason.. Sent payment today. Thanx alot guys for the help. Anyone have any tips for setting it up or favorite arrows?

It'll be 70# w/ a 29" draw. Prolly gonna be shooting a GKF TKO or some similar drop away. I want to get the arrows as close to 350 gr as possible which prolly means full carbon. Any that you guys favor over others? I've heard that the Vapors don't stand up well.. so I was looking at the other options... Also was told the Bowtechs like a little higher spine than what's normally called for.. any truth to that? Gonna use a PSE fiber sight that I have on hand.. and eventually go w/ a Spott Hogg. What wrist sling do you guys normally use w/ this bow? Also I plan on new string/cable.. any preferences on which is really the best? Any other suggestions?

Also.. how hard would it be to convert it to a dually (I figure cam and string/cable swaps).. and would it really be worth it?
I-cam bows do tend to prefer a slightly stiff arrow, but the 2003 Pat had an exclusive I-cam that is a touch softer, so you may not need to go as stiff with it depending on your particulars.

Assuming a 28" arrow you can get real close to 350 grains w/ a 3-49 A/C/C , feathers and 75 grain points, those should spine OK assuming you use a loop.

In all carbon, I would go with something like the Easton Lite-speed 340 light points and feathers, Easton Redline 360, or a Carbon Express 300. The Goldtip 55/75 w/ correct component selection can get you the weight but will likely be on the soft side for spine based on my own experiences.

I use one of the braided wrist slings..paradox, I believe is the name. Personal preference really.

I've had zero trouble out of the 02 string and cables on my ExVFT and a very minute amount of creep. That said, Winners Choice is as trouble free as it gets...set it and forget it, IME..the only drawback is they are noisier and have a bit more vibration..the few extra FPS you gain w/ them usually is negated by more/heavier silencing materials or placing them less advantageously (as far as speed is concerned).

Edit: Conversion to a dually would be expensive: new limbs, new limb pockets, new cams w/ extra hardware & mods, new string and cables. Not really worth the effort. After you shoot the bow a bit, I doubt you'll want to convert it; it's a very sweet shooting bow and has good speed.