Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pendulum sight and low ATA question?

Old 12-01-2003, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pendulum sight and low ATA question?

For some reason my new bow setup refuses to shoot my arrow onto the point of aim when I' m up in a tree. I' m using a savage pendulum super duper max with tritium pin and it always hits about 2" low regardless of the distance(up to 30 yards away).
I sighted it in at 20 and then tried moving the pin to act as my 25 yard gound pin, still 2" lower than aimed.

I have used a savage pendulum on my last bow rig with amazingly accurate results. (mathews z-light with w/b rest)

My current non pendulum friendly set up is as follows-
Bowtec mighty mite- ata 31.5"
peep sight
The highest dollar savage pendulum sold
Trophy taker shakey hunter drop away rest (might be the culprit)

My guess is it' s either-
1. the peep sights extreme angle while on the string at full draw
2. the trophy taker dropping the arrow lower/sooner than the designers at savage anticipated

I under shot an 8 point and this 2" didn' t help, I want this rig/sight to be as accurate as my other rigs setup is-please help!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pendulum sight and low ATA question?

Dave, I shoot the Savage Pendulum Max on my Diamond Hornet, only 30.5" ata, without any problems. I' m also currently using the Savage drop away. I' m using a no-peep versus your peep, so perhaps it' s as simple as an anchor issue?

How fast is your bow shooting? When I called Savage, due to the speed of my bow they suggested I sight it in at a farther distance than 20 yards. Worked like a charm.

I' d suggest you give them a call and discuss this issue. They are very helpful people...
Old 12-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like I need to call them.

I figured the 25 years sight in might cure it. But it didn' t. If I have to go with a 30 yard pin- what' s the use? I might as well have a fixed pin at that point.

Speed = 272fps last time I checked.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speed = 272fps last time I checked.
Did you go through the steps savage reccomends to find your speed? (ex. set the speed setting to 300, then shoot from 40 yds etc.)Sounds like your bow is slower than you have it set for. Are you practicing good form,ex bend at waist?
http://www.savagearchery.com/qanda.html
Old 12-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link, but as far as the speed setting goes- I have a regular pendulum, not the QC ranger.
The regular pendulum says to sight it in at 20 yards and your good to go.

This may sound silly, but no I' m not bending at the waist as I never did with my last set up. I thought (for some stupid reason) the pendulum allowed you not to have to do so.
Maybe with my 36" ata bow I was doing so without noticing. I do know that it would always hit what I aimed at out to 30 yards on the money.

The reason i know that is I always bring a target tipped arrow and shoot an arrow at the end of each hunt at a specified leaf or dirt clod on the ground at varying distances. Last bow= dead on, this bow = 2" low.