Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height question

Old 11-30-2003, 09:20 PM

Default brace height question

i have heard so much talk about a longer brace height being better for consistency and accuracy,want to get your feed back as to whether someone with a short draw length say of 27 in can be as accurate and consistant with a short brace height of 6.5 to 7in.does the longer brace height really apply more to the longer draw lengths.thanks for the input---i want to really put this question to rest
Old 11-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: brace height question

That' s a general rule of thumb and not necessarily set in stone. The shorter the brace height the longer the arrow is attached to the string and the more prone it is to flaws in your release and form. Now with saying that My Parker has a brace height of just over 7 inches and I have a 31 inch draw length. So, you could have a brace height of 3 inches and all else being equal the arrows would leave the string at the same time.

IMO the shorter draw length you have the less brace height you can have and still have a pretty forgiving bow.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:50 AM

Brace height is over rated IMO !!

I have a 30" draw and have been shooting sub 7" brace height bows for about 3 years now and noticed no difference in my accuracy(but I shoot pretty often) !
Old 12-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

We had brace heights up till 12 inch some 15 years ago.
After the axle-to-axle went back to as short as 41 inch the brace height went down to 7 inch in the fast hunting bows.
Than the leading company' s came up with shorter bows, higher brace heights and still fast shooting.
So the question is what you want.
Basicly its like this.
The higher your braceheight, the more forgiving you bow.
The closer your rest is to your pivot point, the easyer you make the arrows fly.
The shorter your bow......well...you can go on and on and on.....

Just take the bow you like most.
The faith your have in your gear is what makes the biggerst differance.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:55 PM

GT45,
In theory, you are correct. The shorter the powerstroke, the more forgiving the bow will be. Example: A 38" bow with an 8" brace height and a 31" draw will be " as forgiving" as a 38" bow with a 6" brace height and a 29" draw because the powerstroke is the same length. Again, that is a theory.......that I have not been able to prove due to the fact that I can only shoot one draw length. The real world effects of this theory are another ball of wax. Form and experience can prove this theory wrong.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:53 PM

GT45,if you want some interesting reading go to http://domino.htcomp.net/ragsdale.nsf type in brace height or forgiving
Old 12-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me, HOW the manufacturer lowered the brace height is more important than the brace height itself. Did they change the angle of the limbs or did they add more reflex to the riser?

A bow with a 7" brace and straight riser will be shoot more consistently and accurately for someone with slightly inconsistent form (don't we ALL have that problem from time to time?) than a bow with a 7" brace and 2" of reflex in the handle. Moving the grip behind the limb pivots really makes a bow easy to torque. The slightest hand pressure in the wrong spot on a reflex handle bow can send the arrow off course.

Every bow I've ever owned with a reflex riser was VERY picky about how it was gripped, and I never kept any of them very long. On the other hand, the old bows I've got with 12" brace and DEFLEXED risers are so stable that you can grip them darn near anyway you want. You can't hardly torque them even if you try to.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goldtip I think your on the right tract , guys with shorter draw can shoot a short brace bow better than guys with longer draws in genral , then again in genral short draw guys are more accurate no matter what they are shooting . I shoot 28" and like bows with around 7" brace height , it gives me about the right trade off of speed and forgiveness , now Im sure there are plenty of guys with 30 draws and 6" brace height bows that can shoot very well and beat me every time . My coments are just my opinion .