Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Eastons ST AXIS shaft

Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Eastons ST AXIS shaft

I figured it was the $50 per 3 pack they wanted...

Seriously, I got the 100 grain 1.5" cut version. I checked them over thoroughly when I got them, made sure all the blade screws were in tight. Have shot one deer with them to date, they performed flawlessly, and the head is in great shape, ready to go again.

I assume the titanium didn't hold the set screw threads as well or something similar? So far, I'm really happy with these heads, with their solid ferule and .05 blade thickness...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'm sure the price didn't help their cause How many did you pick up?

Honestly you are the first person I've heard who has had no problems with them. And yes, the problem was the retention screws/threads. Basically it's the same exact design as the Steelhead w/ the thicker blades and titanium ferrule.

Another caution though...w/ the goofy rocket threads and whatnot, they may not work at all w/ the Axis shafts. Easton worked with Muzzy & NAP I know, but the insert sits pretty deep in the shaft, too deep I'm sure for the short threaded Rockets. If I end up liking the Axis shafts, I'll have to use some sort of other 125 grain head on them if the Steelhead 125s don't work.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many did you pick up?
Uhhmmm... 6...

If I get a new bow, for the time being, I probably plan to use my current ACCs until the spare change drawer is full again

I get 4 turns with the meteorites into the ACC inserts. I've "glued" them in with clear nail polish as added protection. It actually does a pretty fair job, but is not permanent.

A lot depends on if I get a new bow this coming year or not...
Old 12-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball
A lot depends on if I get a new bow this coming year or not...
If you don't want one, then whatever you do DON'T shoot a Liberty [>:]
Old 12-17-2003, 01:39 PM

Jeff:

There is a tool for adjusting the insert depth. With a little ingenuity, you can alter the depth of the insert to give you the requirement you need. Be careful, however, because you could mess them up easily.

I don't care for the nocking system. I'm working on a way to change that to an ACC component. Right now there is not one standard size that will fit. Break out the lathe!
Old 12-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Jeff:

There is a tool for adjusting the insert depth. With a little ingenuity, you can alter the depth of the insert to give you the requirement you need. Be careful, however, because you could mess them up easily.

I don't care for the nocking system. I'm working on a way to change that to an ACC component. Right now there is not one standard size that will fit. Break out the lathe!
Thanx for the tip Len. I knew it came with the tool, but I got the impression you really shouldn't vary the depth too much (if at all) from what the Easton rep told my dealer/friend.

Hmm..have you tried some of the Redline bushings? Or something like a 3-18 or smaller A/C bushing?

How about X-10/ACE pins or similar?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:34 PM

Jeff: When I said "Be careful...", I meant it. You would have to do a tolerance stack and possibly screw up a few before finding the combination that meets your specific needs.

As far as the ICS style nocks, I just DON'T like them. I made some for the skinny carbons years ago and got the same results that I've seen on the press-fit styles they use today.

I didn't try the Redlines and I know the 3-18s don't fit. I don't have any X-10s or I'd try them.

Let me know what you find when you start fooling with them. The Rep wants me to try some on some deer since we have another 6 weeks left and then I've got some Crop Damage tickets to fill.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess for once, I am going to be one of the Guinea Pigs, instead of the cautious tight-wad who is a year or two behind the curve. I just ordered a set of these to try. Since I just sold my Pro 38 DC, which pulled #65 when bottomed out, and bought a #60 Pro 40 Wheely, I figured my ACC 3-60s will be overspined. Not sure how much difference it will make, but I thought I should get some 400s of some kind to play with, and these look interesting. I don't do enough 3D to get serious about it, not worried about "line cutting" and such. These look like they have good potential for hunting arrows. Maybe Len or someone else will solve the nock situation as well.

At any rate, they looked like they were worth trying, so I am!
Old 12-20-2003, 06:54 AM

Those old Bemans,,the ones with the out serts,are not such a bad shaft.If the shaft and outsert are "preped" right,,then they WONT come apart.The trick is useing the highest quility alcohal,(91%),TO CLEAN THE SURFACES,inside and out.Ruffing the joining surfaces is also a MUST.TRUST me,,if you prep them this way,,they only thing that will pull them apart is heat.
As far as the slip over nock goes,for tuneing,,just fletch the shafts with 4" helical feathers,and shoot them through a Wisker B rest.LAZER FLIGHT,,,simpley stated