Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Type of broadhead/adequate blood trail

Old 11-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Type of broadhead/adequate blood trail

I was just wondering if any one broadhead gives a better blood trail than the other(fixed, 3 blade, 4 blade, 2 blade, mechanical).
Old 12-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Type of broadhead/adequate blood trail

It all comes down to shot placement, pass through and then cutting diameter.

I have a friend dead set in love with the rocket sidewinders. He has shot and recovered 8 animals since he switced to them (I witnessed 3). He' s a believer in them.
Pass through with a 1.5" cut is the key to his success.

I have killed 2 does with them and am also impressed, but that hasn' t stopped me from buying other heads since then.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

All other things being equal, the larger the hole, the better the chance that blood can spill/pump out of it...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

All other things being equal, the larger the hole, the better the chance that blood can spill/pump out of it...
On the other hand, the bigger the broadhead (to cut that big hole) the less penetration you get. Two 1" holes leaking will put more blood on the ground than one 1 1/2" hole. If you use the bigger head, make sure you' ve got the oomph to put the arrow through both sides of the critter.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

All other things being equal
Oomph was covered above...
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

quote:

All other things being equal

Oomph was covered above...
If you say so... Guess we' re assuming we' re not talking about keeping all other things equal with a 40 pound bow and hunting elk? You know what they say about assuming stuff.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:04 PM
AK

Having shot deer with wide mechanical heads, skinny one-piece two blade heads, and everything in between, my preference is for solid one-piece broadheads of 2 or 3 blades. No " bone crushing" tips, no replacement blades, and no aluminum, plastic, wristwatch screws, or rubber bands.

Number of blades alone is only one indicator of how much blood is laid down. My experience is that the more pieces a broadhead has, the greater the likelihood that it will fall apart on a hit...ie; bent or missing blades don' t cut or contribute to blood trails.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve read about great blood trails.....
I' ve seen it on tapes....
But i have never had it myself.
The game i took leaved me little to notting and i recovered them all.
Even very, very well placed shots did not do it.
I placed a topic about this some time ago and i was told a middle to high lung shot would give the best result.
I still wait to experience it myself.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the spitfires this year and the shock waves too. my first was a doe taken with the spitfire. I had shaky nerves and shot her in the spine. had to finish her off with second shot. however, broadhead and blades were intact with about 7 inch of arrow penetration. the second deer taken was with the shockwave. was a quartering away shot and it blew threw here like slicing butter with a hot knife. she left me with a minimal blood trail (it was a double lung shot entering high from left chest coming out behind crease on right leg). I also shot a deer last year with the spitfire with a huge blood trail anyone could follow. blood spewed every where from instant i hit her. i did not have complete pass thru as arrow entered left chest high protruding out 5 inches right in front of right leg. it was a heart and lung shot. arrow broke off in center. I have used thunderhead 100 gr with blood spewn everywhere with double lung broadside hits. I am almost thinking that it' s not what you shoot at em but where you hit em and where the arrow exits. although the shot on one of my deer this year with the shockwave doesn' t 100% prove the point to me. thanks for all the info, I really enjoy it.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:21 PM
AK

This blood trail was laid by one of this year' s double lung hit does using a handmade, 2-bld broadhead. (No exit wound, arrow lodged in far legbone.) The blood trail was quite adequate for me.

Incidentally, the best blood trail I' ve had the pleasure to follow was laid by a double lung hit buck (also no exit wound, entrance wound only) using a 3-bld long/narrow Wensel Woodsman broadhead. He ran through a cornfield leaving a blood trail that I can only describe as what you might find if someone walked through with a Wagner Power Sprayer full of red paint. There was blood on the cornstalks well above (my) eye level where he bounded through the rows.

Quick Reply: Type of broadhead/adequate blood trail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.