Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

spine consistancey with carbons

Old 12-03-2003, 03:46 PM

Default RE: spine consistancey with carbons

Thanks guys for the info. I learn more here then any other archery I visit. I hope I don't seem like a idiot but I'm not clear about the bearing test. Is there a site I can go to that will show the process? Thanks. Jerry
Old 12-03-2003, 04:41 PM

All this talk about bearing and float tests are confusing me. I understand how they are done any why, but I don't understand why it's such a big hassle to tune them. In Easton's catalog the state that "Easton arrows deliver uniform spine between all arrow shafts of the same size, and 360 degrees around each shaft". So I would have to assume that the bearing test woudn't reveal the weakest part of the spine on a carbon (or carbon/metal) shaft because it's supossed to be gauranteed uniform. Why all the extra work when you can shoot an aluminum? I tested the spines on Easton shafts years ago, and found them to be consistent.
Seems like I look for a reason to switch to carbons every year, but can't see how they are better than the aluminums. Sombody please tell me what I am missing........ I shoot SuperSlam Selects and X7 Cobalts now (2413), but I don't like the "fatness" of the shaft. What advantages can I expect from carbon shafts?

-NH
Old 12-04-2003, 06:13 AM

By saying their arrows are spined uniformly, they are saying that within a specified range of weights, their arrows will resist flexing to the same degree all around the shaft. BUT- this does not mean that the arrow won't have a slightly stronger or weaker side (within the tolearances of their weight measurement range). Even aluminum arrows all have a spine as we are describing it here. They tend to have a less pronounced spine than carbon arrows, but it's still there.

The bottom line is always how your arrows shoot. If all of your arrows group well, you don't need to worry about any of this. But these things explain why some arrows are "off" of others, and they can help tighten arrow groups for experienced shooters. For hunting stuff, these slight adjustments rarely matter.

You ask what the advantages of carbon are, I'll say it again. For me, it boils down to two things.
1) once straight, always straight
2) stronger than aluminum (for any given weight of arrow), allowing you to use a lighter arrow and gaining arrow speed OR giving you a stronger, tougher arrow of the same weight.