Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Difference between a VFT Extreme & Patriot Solocam?

Old 11-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Difference between a VFT Extreme & Patriot Solocam?

Hey Guys!

After watching and reading much fan loyalty develop for Bowtech' s line of bows (for obviously good reasons), I too wouldn' t mind looking a bit more seriously at a few of their bows.

The ' 04 Pat intrigues me, as I' ve heard some of the balance issues (as far as being top-heavy) have been smoothed out, but the added speed in what appears to be a not-too-different package appeals to me as well.

I mean, I realize the VFT has a 6 and 5/8" brace height, but compared to some of the old " speed bows" of past, that doesn' t really seem that drastic. Especially when it' s cranking out between 325 and 333 fps.

That doesn' t seem to be giving up too much brace height to get more than the 320-328 touted by the Patriot, when you realize its brace is only seven inches.

Why, then, does it seem as if the Pat garners more support? Is this more of a perceived thing, or what?
Old 11-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference between a VFT Extreme & Patriot Solocam?

MQ1, the Patriot has pivoting limb pockets and bearings in the cam & idler wheel. The VFT does not. Those are the two main differences. The Patriot also will cost more. People shooting the VFTs love them. Same with the Patriots, though the 04s will be even better. It seems some people are just not willing to accept less than 7" brace height. Either bow would be a very good hunting/3D bow.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:59 PM

The shorter draw archers might opt for the Extreme VFT to keep the speed up for draws between the 25 to 28 inch range. I don' t feel that the lower brace of the Ex VFT is a handicap for these archers, some even say that the ExVFT is very accurate with draws near the maximum range.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, come on! I know you guys sit around and salivate (drool, perhaps a more appropriate adjective) at the chance to respond to a Bowtech thread!!

Thanks, pdg and walks; where' s the rest of ya at?!? Matt? Jeff? Bowtechshooter? Frank? et al...
Old 11-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, it' s really a personal preference thing I guess.

The 2004 Patriot has been totally refined. It has awesome balance and a new cam which does indeed have bearings in it plus it has a different draw force curve which is smoother than the standard I cam on the Extreme VFT.

The 2004 Patriot also uses shorter limbs than it did in the past.

Either bow is a good choice but only the bow buyer can make the right choice....
Old 11-29-2003, 11:31 AM

MQ1, what is your draw length and weight preference????
Old 11-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

walks,

29" and 67 lbs. I obviously love the smooth draw force characteristics of the MQ-1, but am just toying (OK, maybe more than toying ) with the idea of grabbing another 30 fps or so.

Currently, I' m getting 275 through the chrono with two string leeches, a peep, two brass nocks, and a couple cushion buttons (one between the nock and one below as a spare). Couldn' t tell you what my arrows weigh now as I' ve capped and crested them, but I shoot 3 1/2" feathers on Gold Tip 5575' s, 100-grain heads, and it all gets launched off a Mathews 1" overdraw. (Arrows are cut shorter to take advantage of the overdraw.)

I agree Bowtech_shooter, I really want to shoot ' em both, and obviously will before plunking down the hard-earned cash, but I just wanted to see from everyone why they personally preferred one over the other. Maybe you can' t be " biased" one way or the other, but what' s your take on the two?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:21 PM

I have some Gold Tip XT 5575' s that have 90 grain glue in nibbs and 3 inch vanes and they are cut to 28 1/2 inches. The weight is 356 grains so I' d bet your arrows are around 375 with the insert and 100 grain head. My 70/29 inch Patriot Dually shot the 356 grain arrow through the chrono at 317 fps with whiskers, tied-in-nock, kisser button and an eliminator button. My ' 02 Patriot single is 14 fps slower at 303 fps. The ' 04 singles are advertised to shoot 320 to 328fps IBO so I' d guess with your arrow weight of 375 you would be very near your projected gain of 30 fps at 305[8D] With the EX VFT you might see 310 fps You' ll just have to decide which will be the best shooter for you and if another 5 feet per second will really make that much of a difference. I also have owned two used MQ1' s, one a 29 inch and the other was a 30. Neither bow' s draw length fit me so they were sold.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well to answer your last question, I suspect the PAT SC gets more praise for a couple of reasons.

1) Increased brace height on the 2003 model (7.25' )
2) For 2003 , it had it' s own exlcusive I-cam that was softer than the version on the VFT by a bit.

That said, IME, owning both bows ...I don' t think the brace height is a real issuse for anyone with decent form. The ExVFT is one of the easiest shooting sub 7" brace bows I' ve owned, and customers at the shop seem to agree. It' s a VERY accurate and shootable design (and smokes an arrow too!)

Now when talking 2004 models I can see a couple more reasons to favor the new Patriot SC

1) New riser design that is better balanced
2) New limb pockets
3) New I-cam that' s a bit smoother than the ExVFT' s
4) Bearings in the cam (again adding to smoothness)

If money is not an issue, there is no question I' d take the 2004 PAT SC for those 4 reasons.

If every $ counts, I' d have no qualms picking the ExVFT..it may not have all the " bells and whistles" but it has the horsepower and a smooth ride.