Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grip- Traditional bows vs. Modern Compounds

Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Grip- Traditional bows vs. Modern Compounds

Why is it that the majority of traditional bows I' ve seen have a big meaty fills your palm grip with a more narrow throat, but modern grips are becoming slimmer every year, with a very narrow throat. I know the mantra for the compounds is less potential to torque, but I for one prefer the feel of the beefier grip in my hand, and actually find it easier to shoot this type of grip with a relaxed hand than the thinner grips. Something about feeling the grip fully in my hand makes it more stable and takes my mind off the bow.

I much prefer the feel of the old Mathews and Bowtech grips as well as those on Parker, the older PSEs (such as the Baby G) and others.

If I get a new bow, chances are very good that I' ll be looking for an aftermarket grip that fits this bill...
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grip- Traditional bows vs. Modern Compounds

My favorite grip on any bow is the one on the Bear Kodiak recurve. Something about it... It just feels like a bow grip is SUPPOSED to feel. [8D]

Used to be the medium or high wrist pistol grips were IT. But that' s when bows were more deflexed, had decent brace heights and straight bow arm and high wrist was the grip most everyone used.

But the high wrist presents problems for speed bows. Namely, the flesh on the shooter' s forearm and keeping it where it' s supposed to be and not hanging off the bowstring. You have to shoot a low brace (my definition is 7" or less) bow with a semi-bent elbow and low wrist. Which is exactly like shooting a longbow. So, now compound grips have a closer resemblence to longbow locator grips than recurve pistol grips.

Just FYI, when you start looking around for a new bow, keep in mind that Martin makes some nice optional grips for their bows.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the grip I described as prefering is most likely a high wrist style? Anything new I look at will be 7" + brace height, and I actually plan to shoot it at the correct for me draw length, performance be damned

Other than that feature, Martin has little else that interests me...
Old 11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now, now... They make decent enough bows. But I know what you mean. They don' t go in for glitz and glamour like some other manufacturers.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have nothing at all against the company. I' ve never even held or shot any of their bows. However, when I looked at their published specs against other bows I was considering, I wasn' t " wowed" ... They look nice enough, but so do alot of other bows, like Darton, Diamond, Bowtech and Merlin... If I can get a bow that fits my desired specs from a variety of manufacturers and one offers less arrow energy than the others, I' m hard pressed to give it further consideration. Not exactly about shooting faster, but perhaps more arrow weight at the same speed