Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Disadvantages of parallel limb technology?

Old 11-26-2003, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Disadvantages of parallel limb technology?

[quote]The VFT bows' limbs do not move forward much, so the arrow is propelled more by string movement than by limb movement. It would seem logical that a limb would be able to move forward with more straight-line consistency than a string, which would seem to be prone to all kinds of torque and oscillation. Again, this is just what appears to be logical.[quote]

Your being illogical Since VFT limbs move upwards and a shorter distance than normal limbs they can be more accurate, more straight-line consistent.

The string is what propels the arrow, not the limbs nor the direction the limbs travel. The string travel and speed is what causes arrow acceleration, so if the string travels forward, which it must do, and the parallel limbs travel a shorter distance to achieve the same string travel of normal limbs, then accuracy should increase?

Old 11-26-2003, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
The biggest disadvantage I can think of is parallel limb bows are butt-ugly.[X(][&:]
I have to agree with this. Long risers with short parallel limbs are really damn ugly. I like my Extreme VFT but I don' t think it is pretty. I like it for its' performance. Did I say this bow is ulgy?

Now the Merlins with the reflex limbs, wow, they look nice. Recurve with cams
Old 11-27-2003, 09:12 AM

All design is compromise, but we live in an age where there are rapid advances in material design and manufacturing, so that designs which wouldn' t work so well years ago are fine now.

With VFT the limbs move very little compared to other designs. If you think about it they have to have limited movement. That means that the cams have to rotate more or be larger, which might introduce problems that have to be solved with respect to noise and smoothness of draw. I suspect that stress on the string is greater, as well as on the axles and bearings. This means that more care has to be taken with materials and manufacturing tolerances to get a bow that performs as desired.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The days of beautiful compound bows are gone. These short limbed, long risered bows of today are being built for speed........thats all. Pretty? Nahhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the parallel limb design I think they look great.

nubo