Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A small twist on an old question?

Old 11-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default A small twist on an old question?

THis is another one of those which bow should i get questions. I am a newly-wed and i am not really well off in the money department. I have a couple bows at this point but am interested in getting a new compound. The only compound i have at this point is an Oneida Eagle Areoforce. It is too heavey and bulky for my liking. I harvested a deer withthe oneida this year but i am just not all that happy with its usablility. SO, with that said i am ready to get a serious bowhunting device in my stable. I would like to spend in the neighborhood of $450 for a bare bow.
THese are my preferences in no real order.

High Let-off
small to medium size
Lightweight
draw weight of 60-65

Also if i am missing some other important info let me know. I am 6 ft tall with a 6 foot wing span. Im not sure if my draw lenth is right. It is at 31 inches and it seems a bit long . Any info is greatly appreciated. I am willing to get an 03 model rather than a brand new bow!

Old 11-25-2003, 02:16 PM

Default RE: A small twist on an old question?

I think the Parker 31 is around that price out of the box? I shoot a Mathews Legacy you can pick one up on e-bay for around that. Need to make sure on you specs though.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you' re not in a hurry, wait until the first of the year. There will be a HUGE sell off as guys scramble to get rid of their ' 03 bows to fund the new ' 04s they can' t live without... You should have no problem staying in your price range. Ebay, here and archerytalk.com would be good places to look.

Best bet now would be to research current bow models, find a few that would seem to fit your criteria, then keep an eye out for them. If you aren' t picky, you are in the driver seat.

If you' re draw length is truly 31" , you will need to make sure a bow you decide on adjusts to that length, as some don' t. Some will use modules to get it, some will require an entire different cam be installed.

There are a bunch of bows that fit your listed criteria, but my personal preferences currently are Bowtech, Diamond, Merlin and Darton. Something from any of these manufacturers will serve you very very well.

Good Luck.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:16 PM

I have a Mathews FX. Its the only bow I have ever owned/shot, so I can' t recomend other brands.

Before you buy, make sure you look at the FX. It has 75% let-off, 34 inch, somewhere around 4 lbs. You could get a 60 or 70 pound peak. I shoot 60, wish I had 70.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

B&C, for 450 bucks you can get just about any 2003 slightly used bow you want.

As to the drawlength needed....your best bet would be to go to a reputable proshop and have them measure you. If your wingspan is really 72" , that would put you at a 28.5" drawlength, give or take a 1/4" .

If you have trouble finding a good bow in your price range, drop me an e-mail. I would be glad to help you track one down.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you' re not in a hurry, wait until the first of the year. There will be a HUGE sell off as guys scramble to get rid of their ' 03 bows to fund the new ' 04s they can' t live without...
Geez...I think I need to change my habits. Too many folks know of my typical strategies now...the ebay route and all....

I do tend to agree though. At this time of year both the brand new 2003 models still on pro shop shelves and used high-end 2003 models via the internet or locally can usually be found in your price range. Plus, there are plenty of new 2004 bows that you could consider as well. Hoyt has their new Ultramag which is taking the place of the Magnatec but with more refinements. Bowtech has their Tomkat and Blackhawk and several of the other manufactuers like Darton, Martin, PSE and NAAG all have something to fit your bill. Do some research of the various manufacturer websites in terms of specs and go from there. You can find most of the links at www.bowjackson.com
Old 11-26-2003, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

B&C, these guys are right. You can look at either the 2004 bows in your price range or you can get a good deal on a 2003 as they go on clearance. The biggest drawback to buying from a place such as Ebay is that you can' t shoot the bow before you buy it. From personal experience this is the most important thing you could do when buying a bow.

Also be sure to look into the warranty. Some manufacturers won' t let you transfer the registration to a new owner.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone, I wasnt positive on the draw length and with your reaction now i am even less positive. I will be taking your advice. I know of a few places that have a large selection of bows and arent to far away. Ill have to pay them a visit soon.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 AM

When you try the bow make sure you have the release and d-loop that your going to use. It can change the feel and that will affect draw length. Good Luck!