Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shoot Through Cables

Old 02-04-2002, 09:55 PM

Default Shoot Through Cables

I have been shooting the Bowman Accu-Riser with the Quadra Cables(shoot-thru harness) for a year now and love it. Will this be a dying fad or the wave of the future? Stewart Bowman tells me he pays to use the patent on this.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Shoot Through Cables

I don't think it will ever be really popular for hunting applications. But for target shooting I'd say the win loss ratio and your scores would tell the tale. Does it take longer to load the arrow and would a fixed blade broadhead ever get anywhere near your cables?
I haven't ever used a shoot-through system myself but in certain applications they are probably superior. So far I mostly hunt and backyard shoot.
That was a great buck you took Big Bob. -Later

Chief
Old 02-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Bob,

I love my shoot-thru system.
With the cables attached to each side there isn't any stress and uneven wear and torque sustained like a conventional system.
Translates to longer life for your cams, bushings, cables and string.
Shoot-Thru's are easier to tune and stayed tuned much longer, unlike a conventional.
No lousy cable guard to vibrate loose and mess up your settings either.
As for hunting...
Funny, I always loaded my arrows on my other bows the same as I do on my shoot-thru before I even heard of it.
I don't see a problem with loading a broadhead if you're careful.
I see an increase in shoot-thru's for two cam models in the future.
The one cam system isn't well suited for a shoot-thru even though there is one available.
So Chief H.H. is correct in assuming, that for hunting type one-cam bows, the options for a shoot-thru will be limited.
Good shooting, guys.

Sag.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:20 PM

When you the string, you might as well get the bow also:

http://www.altservices.co.uk/alternative/
Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 PM

Chief HH,

I spent hours in a tree stand this fall and winter and never had any problems putting a broadhead on my string with shoot-thru cables. I think the main problem in hunting is stalking with the cables. There are also only a few fall away rests that work with this too. I used a Pro-Lite Bodoodle rest and as far as I am concerned the light force of the Pro-Lite is as close to a fall away rest as you can get. I rarely stalk or hunt from the ground with my bow so I didn't find the harness a problem and really found it no different than a cable guard as far as a broadhead goes.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:36 PM

Ossage

I took alook at the Alternative Exacta and it is impressive that it may be used as left or right handed. I am left handed and I am impressed. I like the model with the shoot-thru harness and shoot thru riser.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Bob,

I heard the Alternative comes with Barnsdale limbs but I would make sure if I ordered one.
It does look like a quality bow.
It's not the prettiest bow around but I think it looks cool.
Striker2 once owned one and liked his. He sold it and now shoots olympic recurves.

Sag.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:24 PM

It will be sometime before I buy a new bow. Stewart is changing out my shoot thru cables. One of mine got cut during the hunting season on a fence I think. There is no way a broadhead can even get close to the cable so I know it wasn't that. Only cut 2 or 3 strands but I want to start the 3D season with new cables. I will have this bow for many years to come. I think the Merlin Max 2000 with the shoot-thru harness sounds good too. Bowman will have to come up with something bigger and better for me to buy a new bow. After shooting this bow for one year the handle design and the whole concept is hard to beat by any of the companies out there. Quite simply, this bow shoots exactly where you aim and is very forgiving.