Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shot broadhead

Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Shot broadhead

I shot one of my broadheads, at 10,15,20 yards nothing changed. But my " oh ****" pin which was for a huge buck out to 40 yards or more if I was feeling lucky is now my 25 and 30 yard pin. For some reason at 25 and 30 it was shooting low. My only prob now is I can' t tell the distance between 20 vs 25,30 this will be a prob cause now I have 2 pins one for 20 and the other for 25 and 30. If I use the wrong pin then I miss and then I will prolly take up gun hunting again cause that will be the 3rd time I have missed a deer. I don' t plan on shooting past 15 anyway if that, the deer in my spot walk right under my stand. But yuou never know.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot broadhead

Given everything you have posted on the various threads, I personally would set a 20 yard pin only. Shoot to make sure your broadhead is hitting the aiming spot at that distance. Know or pace off where 20 yards is from your stand (wearing scent proof rubber boots preferably). I personally would not shoot at anything past that distance. This way you will not have to worry about anything like 10-15, because you will still hit close enough to your aiming point that you will get a good hit anyway. Save shooting beyond 20 yards for a time when you have tuned and shot your equipment enough to know what you can rely on doing with it. If you see a reallly nice buck at 35 yards, it will be tempting to shoot, but if you let it walk, you will have good and exciting memories of it, and it will still be there when your gun season comes around. On the other hand, if you " take a poke at him" , he may end up dying slowly on some other property where you can' t hunt. I would guess that is something you would not want to happen.

I have been shooting for many years. I currently have the best shooting setup I have ever owned. This rig shoots broadheads with field points out to 40 yards, with enough accuracy to hit what I am aiming at out to 40. Still, I do not allow myself to shoot at a deer past 30 yards. Too many variables when shooting at a live animal. Too many bad things can happen.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats great advice for him JOEPA. I second your reply. Some people can have misconceptions on archery hunting from watching alot of the hunting programs. I remember realtree roadtrips a few weeks ago when Mike waddell nailed a monster with his bow at 50 yards. It was a perfect shot too. Your average archer let alone someone just getting into bow hunting can not take a shot like that and expect any results other than a wounded animal or a complete miss. I feel comfortable shooting out to around 35 to 40 yards. But I religiously shoot my bow year around literally 1000' s of shots a year. Once you get some practice under your belt you will build the confidence in your self to pick the distance and send a lethal shot. So I would also say stick to the one pin at 20 yards for this season and come back next season prepaired and with plenty of practice and then have that confidence that you are lethal out to 30 yards. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Buckeye. Some very nice bucks on your web page. You must have had a great time with those experiences.

My sister lives in Dublin. Maybe after I retire, I will have to visit her and find a place to do some Buckeye Buckhunting myself!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the compliment JOE PA. I do have many great memories/experiences, many of them from unsucessful hunts, but then when you really think about it they were a success because of the great memories i got from them. I wish you all the luck in your quests of deer hunting. By all means do some buckeye buck hunting we grow some good ones over here and there are plenty to go around. good luck!