Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bows with long draws?

Old 11-21-2003, 02:42 AM

Default bows with long draws?

I may be in the market for a new bow in the near future, and I was wondering what types the board recommends with at least a 32 inch draw. When I was shooting fingers, I had to have a 33 inch draw, but I' ve went to a release with a loop and 32 inch will work. I' d like to keep the price in the 350 to 500 range. There seems to be alot of Bowtech supporters on here, but they appear to be out of my price range.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 11-21-2003, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bows with long draws?

For most folks with a long draw a long axle to axle length bow is needed....which rules out about 75% of what is on the market right now. Bowtech does offer a few bows that will match your draw length needs but, yes, they are out of the price range you listed. The only one that probably would not be is the Tomkat though the axle to axle length is definitely below what I would recommend for someone in your position.

Jennings or Martin might be able to offer something that fits all of your needs. Their websites are www.beararch.com and www.martinarchery.com . Maybe you will be able to find something to your liking there.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

For most folks with a long draw a long axle to axle length bow is needed....
I' ve got to second that! My compound draw length is 33.5" . On bows less than 40" axle to axle, the string angle took the peep sight a LONG ways away from my eye. I had to use the largest diameter peeps just to be able to see through them and they acted like target peeps in low light. Couldn' t see nothing. Maybe a No Peep would solve that problem. Never used one, myself.

Also, I' d have to have a nose like a collie in order to get a third anchor reference, touching the string to the tip of my nose.

So, unless you' ve got really good eyes, have the resources to pay out extra $$$ for something like the No Peep, or have a big honkin' schnozz, then I wouldn' t recommend looking at anything under 38" , and 40" would be even better.

My compound is a Hoyt ProTec, LX Pro limbs and Accuwheels (45" axle to axle. The XT2000 limbs would be closer to 40.). Martin has the Sceptor and Cougar Elite (if I wasn' t shooting Hoyt, I' d have one of those). I think BowTech has the Pro 40 in 32" . Not sure what, if anything, Mathews has in 32" . Darton, PSE and Onieda used to have 32" and might still. I haven' t checked their catalogs in ages.

Good luck, fellow knuckledragger.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 PM

Martin' s new 2004 SlayR will accomodate a 33" draw length with their Nitrous/Nitrous X cams. This bow has a 35" ATA and a 6.75" brace height.

Martin' s ne RaxorX will accomodate drawlengths up to 36" with the Nitrous/NitrousX cams. This bow has the Elite limbs and had a 45" ATA and 8" brace height.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info Gentlemen. I' d put my bow down a few years ago (7 to be exact), and just recently started shooting again. When last I shot, I knew that shooting fingers on a short bow could creat finger pinch, but Arthur P I hadn' t considered how the angle would effect the peep sight or anchor points. This diffently gives me some extra things to look for as I start narrowing my search.

Just so you' ll know, my current bow is a York Mohave (heard Yorks out of business) with a 33" draw adjusted to 32" for my release. Pulling 68 lbs and shooting PSE 300 series carbon arrows 32 1/4" .

Once again thanks for the replies. Man this board sure is helpful.

Tom
Old 11-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohio, don' t forget the traditional bow option. Most 64" recurves and 66" reflex/deflex longbows I' ve shot draw nice and smooth with minimal stacking to 32" (you generally drop an inch of draw length with a stickbow). The trick is to get a comfortable draw weight at your draw length.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

OBM,

Bowman and Barnsdale also make bows for 33" draws.
Can' t remember if Merlin does though.
http://www.bowmanbows.com
http://www.barnsdalearchery.com

Sag.