Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

P&Y Change in Letoff Rule

Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default P&Y Change in Letoff Rule

You guys see this?

PY Changes letoff rule on record book entries
In an effort to " resolve" a very hotly debated and divisive issue, the Pope and Young Club' s Board of Directors has been developing a possible compromise solution to the ongoing debate over the Club' s well-known 65% let-off limit on compound bows.

A solution was finally adopted by the Board and forwarded to the Club' s Regular Members and Senior Members (voting members) for a vote on a change to the Club' s By-laws. That vote concluded on Friday, November 14th, and the ballots have been tallied. By a vote of 294-148, the membership passed the motion.

THE CHANGE

The proposal called for a change to the Records Program, whereby the Club would begin accepting entries harvested by compound bows that have let-off greater than 65% (provided they are legal, in the state/province where used, AND meet the Club' s remaining definition of a hunting bow). Any record book entry with a compound bow exceeding 65% in let-off will be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records and in the record books.

The proposal also called for the production of a periodic, specialty book that would contain only animals harvested with " traditional" bows (recurve bows, longbows and self bows), in addition to them being listed in the all-time record books.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Effective January 1, 2004, the Club will begin accepting entries taken with compound bows that have let-off greater than 65%.

This change is retroactive, meaning that animals harvested in the past can now be submitted for possible acceptance into the Records.

The 65% value remains an important numerical " line," as any entry taken with a compound bow having percent let-off greater than that will be listed with an asterisk. The Club' s definition of let-off remains the same and is an important consideration when accurately completing the entry materials. The Club' s definition matches the A.M.O. standard method of measuring let-off. It differs from the now-popular advertising definition of let-off, referred to as " effective" let-off. This is a point all bowhunters need to be aware of---when completing the " Hunt Information Form" on the Fair Chase Affidavit, you need to list the A.M.O. standard let-off for animals taken with a compound bow.

A " traditional-only" record book is intended to be published in 2007, with subsequent editions published on a six-year cycle. Those entries will remain in the all-time record books, as has always been the case. The next all-time record book (which has been, and will continue to be, published on a six-year cycle) is due out in the spring of 2005. The deadline for that book, the 6th Edition of " Bowhunting Big Game Records of North America," is 12/31/04.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: P&Y Change in Letoff Rule

I wonder now if manufacturers will be less inclined to still offer the 65% option.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckfevr

I wonder now if manufacturers will be less inclined to still offer the 65% option.
Hope not....

For the vast majority of bowhunters who don' t care about record books(like myself), probably will never arrow a record book class buck (I hope not me )and bowhunt for sport/meat (like myself) this change will be trivial I suspect.

AFAIC the book should be about honoring an incredible representative of the species in question..not the shooter and/or his equipment.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckfevr

I doubt it. There are too many people out there that still prefer 65%.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope not, from a performance aspect. I chose 65% let off not because of the P&Y ruling, and I' ll stay at 65% irregardless of the change...
Old 11-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Does this mean they will accept deer killed before Jan.04' Like the Beaty buck which was taken with a bow with more then 65% letoff?Or does this mean they will start with deer taken after Jan.01,2004?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ken, the article says...

This change is retroactive, meaning that animals harvested in the past can now be submitted for possible acceptance into the Records.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ken, the ruling is retroactive. Any qualifying deer killed prior to 1-1-04 that would be admitted after 1-1-04 is now eligible for entry, with an asterick placed by the name of the hunter.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:26 PM

Ken, the ruling is retroactive. Any qualifying deer killed prior to 1-1-04 that would be admitted after 1-1-04 is now eligible for entry, with an asterick placed by the name of the hunter.
Think Mike Beatty will enter ?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If he doesn' t, CBM, I hope somebody tracks him down and delivers a hearty, open palm, slobberknocker headslap to him. He' s the one fanned the flames of this let-off BS in the first place. Him and is 75% letoff Mathews... I just wonder how big a deal would have been made of it if he' d been using some different brand of bow.

Hey, when are we all gonna get together and decide P&Y oughta allow pen raised deer into the book, then raise enough hell that they' ll give up on even more principles? I mean, you stuff an animal full of steroids and high protien feed and turn out some OUTSTANDING trophies. Then all ya gotta do is pick which one to shoot off the feedlot! After all, it' s all about the animal and not at all about the hunter or his equipment.

(That' s sarcasm, in case you didn' t realize it.)

Quick Reply: P&Y Change in Letoff Rule

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.