Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Should i buy?

Old 11-18-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Should i buy?

I have a PSE nova, It is at 67lbs and 28 draw length shoots 217 fps. i shoot Easton XX75 2213 at 125 grain. I can shoot great groupings at 15-25 yards, But any farther than that i am all over the place. I am wondering is it my grainage is to heavy or what, should i switch to carbons, or should i get a new bow. If you guys recomend a new bow what kind is a good solid hunting bow that i can use for turkey-moose. Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should i buy?

Though your choice of arrows could be the culprit I have a feeling it may be something else. For example, do you start your practicing by shooting at 15-25 yards and then move out farther? If that is the case then fatigue from shooting could be a factor in your accuracy. Second, it could just be that you need to practice more often at the longer distances. What most folks will tell you is that if you can practice at 40 or 50 yard targets regularly then 20 yards become a chip shot. It is entirely natural for group size to increase slightly as you move out to farther distances if for no other reason than because of the size of the area that your aiming point (fiber optic pin) occupies on the face of the target. As you get farther away that aiming point covers up more space and thus it becomes more difficult for you to put together as tight of a group as you would like.

Now, after having discounted some of the issues related to you as an archer it may also be specifically related to your equipment. You can try " easy adjustments" such as changing point weight to see if it is a spine issue or you can play around with your rest position, etc.. to see if you are getting some fletching contact.

Hope this helps some.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Your choiche of arrows must be about right, but i place a little questionmark at your 125 grains tips.
However, this is something i should see in flight and inpact.
Maybe you can check your centreshot adjustments?

You say, you are all over the place.
At what distance are your arrows apart than?
Can you hit a paperplate at 40 yards?

Shooting a nice group at 15 yards means blowing your nocks while at 40 yards its called a nice group when you can close your hands arround it.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also suggest changing the point weight to 100 gr but I don' t think that has anything to do with your accuracy.

First of all,you need a very well tuned setup to shoot well at distance.A pro shop is a good place to get your equipment lined out,if they are a good one,problem is that there are very few shops out there that do a good job.[:' (]

Secondly and most likely the problem is skill level and form and fit.Proper form will bring your skill level up drastically.So will the proper fit.I have personally setup equipment for people that have shot very little and with a few pointers,had them shooting very well out to 30 yards within a few minutes.

My suggestion is to try and find some people that shoot quite a bit.The 3-d ranges are full of people that shoot well and know the equipment and form issues.They can help more than you could immagine and most are very willing.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t like to pick but your problem is most likely form related. You need help with that as the others have mentioned. Although a well tuned bow is a more forgiving one it really doesn' t help with accuracy as much as consistent form. Even a poorly tuned bow will shoot very good groups. The arrows will just look ugly geting to the mark. You need to get with some good ARCHERS to help with your form and concentrate on this and not group size or bullseyes or anything else. With better, consistent form all the other stuff will fall in line. And it won' t be aquick fix. It takes time and diligence.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check your email, I responded to your email.

I did forget to mention one thing.Try to keep your shoulders relaxed.Don' t raise your shoulders toward your ears,keep them down.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bgfisher

I agree almost totally with what you posted but I would like to add one thing.You said a poorly tuned bow will shoot accurate as long as form is good.I agree with that as long as you are shooting the same arrow or all arrows are exact.If a nock is turned a little more on 1 arrow than another it will impact different because the contact will be more or less.Same with fletching,they must all be the same.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have gotten good advice so far. It is definitely harder to shoot well at longer ranges than up close. IMO, you really have to relax, and squeeze off the shot, while concentrating on your aim. That said, I have found that " bad" arrows, that could be out of spec. or worn carbons, or aluminum arrows that are somewhat bent, or have nocks installed carelessly, etc. often will group acceptably up close, and the groups " fall apart" when shooting at greater distances. In addition to checking your form as suggested, I would want to know how old these arrows are, and have them checked for straightness by a pro shop. Trying 100 gr. tips might also help some.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:34 AM

Huntm Up,

Your bow should be fine. It' s probably a form issue, or a mental thing. If everything is great at 25 yards, it should also be great at 30 yards.

I' m not a big fan of lowering your F.O.C. when shooting broadheads, so I don' t recommend going to 100 grain tips. If you' re slightly underspined, I' d rather see you lower draw weight, shorten arrows, or get heavier spined arrows.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX,
Notice I didn' t say a poorly tuned bow will shoot accurately. I said it will still shoot decent groups. I agree with what you are saying about fletch contact, but that is also part of the tuning process. Everything must be the same from shot to shot---everytime. Joe Pa got some good stuff, too.