Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new bow hunter tuning tips? HELP!

Old 11-16-2003, 09:43 PM

Default new bow hunter tuning tips? HELP!

Hey guys just randomly decided to get into bow hunting...bought a browing rage, figure it would be a good introductory bow.

i dont care about pinpoint accuracy and it seems like most of the tuning tips i see are for that...maybe im wrong? I just want to hit' em in the vitals.

I got it to hit accurately at 25 yards and went hunting with it like that...decided i needed a whisker biscuit. been shooting blackhawk carbon vapors with monotech tips.

i would like to get it tuned how it should be for a clean kill...even if it does take forever like it seems it will from what i read.

the arrows i choose off of nothing...just saw them and bought them at acadamy...i figure carbon wouldnt bend as easily. ive had 3 of the inserts that the broadheads screw in come unglued and come out with just my 100 grain field points that are same diameter as the arrow? I have just been using my foam target (forgot the name but its yellow and same time as the black hole?) Can i glue them back in?

also can i just glue the vanes back on or buy new vanes? these arrows are expensive!!!

ive tried searching and reading but not much info for total newcomers like myself

give me some newcomer tips!!

bow specs: set at 65#
75% letoff (everywhere i read it says the Rage is 70% but on my box it says 75%!)
29" draw...i have long arms and im 6' 4" ..but it feels about right? w/ mechanical release my thumb is set under back of my jaw.
IBO: 292 fps

Ive already learned a lot from reading..Thanks for any help!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:59 PM

Default RE: new bow hunter tuning tips? HELP!

First off with arrows. Carbons dont bend like aluminums, they can be refletched but you have to have a jig, they also need to be cut to fit your bow. Inserts can be glued back in.
Tuning tips: Get your broadheads to shoot the same as your field points. There are lots of books out there with tons of advice(more than i can give you in a little post on the internet, especially at 11 o clock at night, lol) Go to a local pro shop, they will be able to give you lots of advice. Some tuning gets technical, you have to move your nock and get clearance with vanes, etc, etc. Your draw length needs to match your body, otherwise you' ll never get your bow tuned. They can fit you at a pro shop. Or, take a yard stick, put it to the center of your chest between your arms, then touch your fingertips together on the yard stick and where they touch is your draw length. Theres more than that, but i cant type anymore. lol. Tell us how things work out.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:05 AM

Default RE: new bow hunter tuning tips? HELP!

Go here:

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

and download the " Tuning Guide" . It contains a wealth of information, and should help you get started right. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown