Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ADDING 1" TO MY DRAW LENGTH??

Old 02-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default ADDING 1" TO MY DRAW LENGTH??

I shoot a 29" draw length with a string loop. I would like to shoot a 30" draw length from my bow to get the most speed from it. Any recommendatins on a release that I can attach to my string, but not weigh alot. I mean a very light nok setup so I dont loose alot of speed and a release?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ADDING 1" TO MY DRAW LENGTH??

If you're not using a string loop, I would suggest putting one on if you want to go 30".
If you're not using a release right now, most wrist strap caliper releases will get you an extra 1/2"-1" of draw length.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby, I'm facing your exact dilema, but I'm wanting to go from 28" to 29". I had planned to ditch the string loop and install a truball speed nock, which only weighs about 5-6 grains, should only lose 1 fps by using it. It's rocker design allows you to use it without a rubber cushion/eliminator button. However, I'm leaning now towards using tied on nockpoints with serving material, and a hand held gator jaw release that grabs the string above and below the nock, giving a loop like release while letting me maintain my anchor point.

You can see the release here- http://www.buckpole.com/pages2/acc.html

If you go with any other type of release, hand held or wrist strap, make sure it is allows you to adjust for draw length... Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

ABM-

Adding a string loop does not get you extra draw length, and neither does using wrist strap caliper release.

Those two items simply move your anchor point of your hand back further. The draw length of the bow has not changed one bit.

Weatherby is talking about changing the actual draw length setting on his bow for a longer powerstroke. But adding DL just for more speed at risk of going longer than your ideal DL in not always a good idea. You'd be better off (and more accurate) shooting slower at your ideal DL rather than faster with a DL that's not correct.

Best of luck-
Old 02-04-2002, 10:10 AM

I agree with Blackfrog on this subject!!!! Shooting a longer than proper drawlength has negative effects on your form which translates to less consistancy and accuracy.

Aim Hard!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BF and FL, however my current draw length at 28" feels short. I left my loop a touch long to get the correct anchor, but it put the string off my nose. I figure if I go back to shooting off the string, I can keep my anchor, bring the string back to touching my nose and pick up about 10 fps and possible shoot better. For this win win, it's definitely worth a try...