Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Scott Mongoose problem

Old 11-14-2003, 09:48 AM

Default Scott Mongoose problem

The other day I was shooting my bow with my scott mongoose release and when I pulled the trigger, the curved jaw opened but it didn' t let go of my string loop. The string loop got caught on the curved jaw and the string did not release when I wanted. The release let go of the loop unexpectidly and cost me an arrow and some extra grey hairs. (That is the last time I shoot in my back yard!)
The release is fairly new and has never given me any problems before. On this particular day it happend 2 out of 7 arrows. Has anyone ever had any problems like this before?
I am shipping it to Scott and hopefully they can figure out what went wrong.

Thanks
LAHUNTER
Old 11-14-2003, 10:57 AM

Default RE: Scott Mongoose problem

I shoot a Scott Li' l Goose and it' s got thousands of shots on it and that' s never happened. Scott seems to have awesome customer service though, so I imagine they will just be sending you a new one altogether.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:26 AM

maybe it got some moisture in the trigger....does the roller move ???
Old 11-15-2003, 06:36 PM

HORN-HUNTER
I don' t think I got any moisture in the internal parts. The roller and other mechanical parts work fine. The problem is that my string loop is getting caught on the curved jaw. This has never happened before, I have shot over a 1000 shots with this release and now, all of the sudden it is giving me problems. The weird thing is, that it is nothing mechanicaly wrong with the release. I am stumped. Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm...two things

1) have you recently installed a different loop?

2) Are you torquing the release?
Old 11-17-2003, 01:06 PM

JeffB,
I changed out the string loope around 200-300 shots ago, it is still in good shape. I may be torquing the release. I shot consistently with the new release for around 4 months, then gun season came in and I put the bow up for a while. I killed a few deer with my gun now I am interested in getting one with my bow.
Maybe my for has a few flaws in it from taking time off from shooting. It is weird though, when I began shooting 4 months ago, I am sure my form wasn' t good at all, and the release didn' t give me any problems. I still don' t understand why it would now. Also, I have a no peep and it was still lining up right. I don' t understand it.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:10 PM

TRY THIS, I TOO SHOOT A MONGOOSE AND THINK SCOTT RELEASES ARE THE BERRIES AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AND STILL HAVE THE SAME CALIPER I BOUGHT OVER 12 YEARS AGO AND EVEN IT STILL WORKS FINE EVEN THOUGH I DONT SHOOT VERY OFTEN NOW BECAUSE A MONGOOSE IS MY PRIMARY NOW. BUT ANYWAY, TRY TO NOT LET ANYTHING TOUCH THE RELEASE IN FRONT OF THE STRAP EXCEPT FOR YOUR TRIGGER FINGER, AND REMEMBER TO PULL STRAIGHT BACK ON IT, NOT JERK, THIS MIGHT SHED LIGHT ON YOUR PROBLEM IF IT IS YOUR FORM. BUT IT MAY NOT BE AND MIGHT BE THE RELEASE. I AM SURE THAT THE PEOPLE AT SCOTT WILL DO YOU RIGHT IF IT IS. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME. BUTCHB.