Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews/Draw Length Question

Old 02-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mathews/Draw Length Question

I still have the option of hanging on to the bow I have now, and just buying a different cam for it. My Q2XL came with a 27" cam, which the pro shop set me up with, knowing that I am 6' 1" tall. I've adjusted and shot well with it, but I want to have the bow set right for me, as well as be able to maximize my available KE out of this bow. I've shot a 29" bow recently, and it felt as if it could of been a tad long, but the guys told me that it looked right on me. I was considering going with a 28.5" cam, but can't decide between that or a 29" cam.
What advice would you guys give to make this decision? I'm not around a pro shop, and probably won't be for quite some time, but I want to get set up right, and get some arrows that fit, and get used to it before I start chasing bou and bears in April and May.
This might be a mute point if I buy a new bow, but I want to consider all options.

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews/Draw Length Question

well since every mathews I have seen has been about 1" long, I would probalby go with the 28.5 provided your draw length is 29 inches + or -. My brothers 28" MQ-1 fits me pretty well and I pull 29 inches shooting with a release. I think that would give you the best shot at finding a bow that fits properly. you can do some ajusting by twisting the cables and string to find just the right fit.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-03-2002, 06:57 PM

I have to agree with 5SHOT. my Q2 is a 29" draw but measures to extactly 30" thats 28.75 from string to back of grip at full draw
Old 02-03-2002, 07:07 PM

Bow-
That would be a 30.5" draw then!

I have set up plenty of Mathews bows and yet to see one that isn't within 1/4 inch of what it says when new from the factory, and quite frankly they are usually a tad short! (AMO draw length).

Arctic-
Get the cam that you feel will be correct based on a AMO length. You can adjust +- 3/8 of an inch by twisting buss cables and or string.

Tony Virnoche
>>> The Archery Program---->>>

Edited by - thearcheryprogram on 02/03/2002 20:08:29
Old 02-03-2002, 07:34 PM

arch,
you might be right about it 30.5 but as far as mathews beeing short all three 29's we measured of the rack when I bought mine were the same
Old 02-03-2002, 08:02 PM

AB
I am not for sure about Mathews straightline Max cam, but my nephew has an Ultratec with a Max cam. It is 29"draw length, and is adjustable down to 28" in 1/4" increments just by moving the string and buss cable. So I would get the 29" cam and go down from there.
Randy
Old 02-03-2002, 08:04 PM

OOOPPPPSSSS!
I mean UltraMax, not Ultratec. Had a Hoyt moment!! Bbbaaaaddddd!!!
Randy
Old 02-03-2002, 09:26 PM

The lack of draw length adjustment on many of the Mathews cams is my biggest peeve. I have an MQ-32 at 29" and I would like to play with the draw length a bit, like plus or minus 1 inch. Can`t do that with the straight line cam without completely replacing the cam with another of a different draw length.

The Mouse
Old 02-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

The Mathews original Max Cam which came on the Z-Max,Ultra Max,Feather Max etc... was fairly close to what the D/L stated.
Now the straightline Max Cam for the MQ1,MQ32,Q2,Q2XL are not even close,I have NEVER saw one that was short!!!!!!! Every one I have measured has been at least 5/8"longer than what it was supposed to be.

ABM What does the wingspan method say?????? It works well for most people and should get you within 1/2".Just remember....it's better to be a little to short,than to be a hair too long.
The following are the differant cams I've had on my Q2XL and what they drew.
With a 28.5" cam it was drawing 29 1/4"
with a 28" cam it was drawing 28 3/4"
with the 27.5" cam that I have on it now it draws 28 1/8".