Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanical Broadheads???

Old 11-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mechanical Broadheads???

Hey guys, My setup is a Hoyt Macnatec w/ a redline single cam. I am set up at 60lbs with a 29' ' draw length shooting 29' ' pse carbon arrows with 100 grain rocket mechanicals. I am curious if my setup doesn' t have the speed for use w/ mechanicals. I didn' t know if I should switch to a fixed blade like a muzzy. Thanks for your help, by the way someone on here determined I was shooting around 245-250 fps. Thanksssss
Old 11-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-09-2003, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads???

hey kyle3 I' ve recently found out that you should be shooting over 280 fps to shoot mechnicicals. I' am not sure as of now if this is correct I still need to research but I' am shooting 235 fps, with a total grain arrow weight of 480 @ 67lbs and I' am having major passthrew problems @ 15 yards. I' ve used both buckblasters and spitfires (both 125 g.) and have issues with both. I have to say I never in the past had these problems with thunderheads once i have gotten them to fly properly at distance.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

The key component that you need to finish the equation for yourself is the arrow weight. With the arrow weight and a rough approximation as to your speed you can do the KE formula to determine what level you are shooting at. Or....

...you can head over to www.bowjackson.com and use his KE calculator to see what your bow is producing. Generally speaking, 50-55 ft. lbs of KE is used as the lowest level for which most small diameter mechanical broadheads will work effectively on deer sized game.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated before its not just the speed of the arrow but also the weight that counts. Just making the blanket statement that 280 fps is all you need is misleading. For example a 320 grain arrow traveling 280 fps only has 56 lb of kinetic energy while a 400 grain arrow traveling 250 fps has 60 lbs of kinetic energy. Nothing wrong with speed but its just one part of the equation not the whole ball of wax. Also take into consideration the cutting diameter of the expandable you are planning to use. A head that opens up to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inches is going to require much more energy than one that opens up to a more modest 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 inches. Last but certainly not least is the design of the particular mech head you plan to use. They are not all the same! Some penetrate better than others. The two best penetrating mech heads I have encountered are the Rocket Steelhead an the Snyper by Rocky Mt. These two heads should be fine on deer sized game even fired from rigs generating kinetic energy down in the 50 to 55 lb range. I would not say this for any other mech head at this time.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:10 PM

Thank' s for the information guy' s it helps. But does anyone have a idea why I' am having passthrew problems with good hits @ short ranges.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your having pass through problems becuase your using heads that are to large for your setup. The buckblasters are huge, and the spitfires are good sized as well. switch to a moderate sized head and make sure your bow is tune well. Scorpions,Steelheads, Rocky snypers and Ironhead xp' s and the Vortex 100 grn steel with a 1 1/2" cut should all work well and provide pass throughs on resonable shots. To answer the original question, what frank said is 100% correct. You can also go to my website www.broadheadtests.com and find some usefull info on choosing the correct broadhead.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with 5shot on the cutting diameter comments but you may also want to check out the tune of your bow. Arrows not flying " straight and true" on a consistant basis can have a major impact on arrow penetration.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

5shot as useual is dead on , the buckblaster is the bigest mechanical I know of with 6 blades , You need major ke for that one . This year I went with vortex minmax' s after seeing the way they fly and the results they produce . I shoot 28" s at 60 lbs . Two deer , two passthrus , with 2 1/2 " intrance and exit holes . You should be fine shooting them or any similar mechanical , but buckblasters and hamerheads are for guys shooting major pounds and ke . The vortex line of mechanical heads is of good quality .

Quick Reply: Mechanical Broadheads???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.