Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanical Broadheads???

Old 11-11-2003, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads???

Well guy' s I went to Gander Mountain today and the guy in the archery department told me the same thing I just read. I would have thought that a bigger heavier broadhead would increase the KE, but I guess I had their relationship all wrong. Thank' s for all your help gentlemen I' am going to take your advice and try sizing down, Happy Hunting.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

A heavier broadhead would increase the KE levels...slightly though you would then also have to worry about how it affects your spine and FOC. A heavier broadhead does not always necessarily need to equate to a significantly larger cutting diameter either.

ijimmy,

Are those minimax' s a 2 blade or 3 blade model? At a 2.5 inch cutting diameter I might have to look into those as they are larger than the Hammerheads that I am currently shooting.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pa , the vortex heads are 2 blade . They work great on deer . I dont know if I would use them for elk but for deer they work very well . I think 5shot did a reveiw on them and liked them . They fly just like field points , open on contact , and every deer I' ve seen hit with them has been a passthru . Never thought Id shoot mechanicals but after seeing the results my hunting patrners in Pa have been getting the last few years , I think Im sticking with them , One of the guys uses them for wild boar allso and has had great sucess .
Old 11-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tip. I think I will have to look into picking up a pack to use for our late archery season.